Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What's Your Most Common Break Down

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Canuck, Feb 6, 2001.

1. Canuck

Canuck 1/2 ton status

What\'s Your Most Common Break Down

I'm wondering what is the most common breakdown for your K5. Whether it's on the trail, rid'in around or blasting down the hiway. Maybe we can get some of this info together and see if there's a pattern that we can learn from. For the new K5 owners, maybe there are a few things that they should change as soon as they get their ride to prevent their rig from breaking down. Sort of an "experienced" what to expect section.

I would have to say my biggest problem is u-joints. I change them every six months, and could change them earlier if I got around to it. This winter, I'm using mine for snow plowing so I've had to change them already.

Canuck

Go Wide or Stay @ Home

2. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

Re: What\'s Your Most Common Break Down

I would have to say u-joints also. Next time around, I am going to try Spicers instead of the Auto Zone Brute Forces I usually get.

Mike [​IMG]
    See <font color=green>EMMETT</font color=green> -&gt; <A target="_blank" HREF=http://emmett.coloradok5.com>http://emmett.coloradok5.com</A>

3. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

U-joints, followed by 12-bolt ring gears. My record is 13 busted u-joints in 1 year (One of them even split the yoke on the rear end as it exploded) and 3 12-bolts in 3 years. Haven't had a problem since upgrading to 3/4-ton axles and driveshafts from the 1-ton truck that donated it's Turbo 400 and NP 205 to the cause. [​IMG]

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com>http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com</A>

4. MICHIGAN BLAZER

MICHIGAN BLAZER 1/2 ton status

whoo.....I'd say we have a pattern...mine's u-joints too. burn through 'em in about 6 months, but i think i might have found my problem last time i changed them. It kinda looked like my driveshaft end had the tiniest of kinks towards the center....didn't feel like seeing if that was the problem & fixin' it then......I should only be a couple months away from new ones anyways....I'll fix it then!!!!

Next biggest breakdown is probably wiring problems. From plugs just plain falling off to melting off. Wires falling down and melting on my exhaust, and i can't forget all of the splices the dumb@ss who owned my truck last put on it rotting away. When i bought my truck it had 7......yes 7 different trailer light hook ups on it.....and NONE OF THEM WORKED!!!!! took about a year to finally get rid of my taillight problems due to those little bastards......gettin' kinda tired of hot wirin' my truck.

<font color=red>MICHIGAN BLAZER
    <font color=green>89 Fullsize Blazer
    87 Cherokee
    65 IH Scout

5. Stoopalini

Stoopalini 1/2 ton status

I'll second the <font color=blue>spark plug wire on the exhaust</font color=blue> problem.

I have headers installed and the wires on the drivers side loop around behind the valve covers I have. The wires would fall down against the header and the truck would start misfiring.

I ended up zip tying the wires to the metal brake lines coming out of the bottom of the master cylinder. I haven't had a problem since.

Thomas.

-- '84 K5 Blazer --
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://Stoopalini.coloradok5.com>http://Stoopalini.coloradok5.com</A>

6. sluggo45acp

sluggo45acp 1/2 ton status

Short between the ears, followed by u-joints (sometimes caused by the short).

[​IMG]IF EVERYTHING WORKS IT AINT A REAL TRUCK[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Front axle u-joints. Twice in 3 years, I guess I can't complain. Driveshaft U-joints next, once in 3 years. They are a consumable part for every 4x4 the way I see it. Might as well get good at fixing them! [​IMG] Other than that just annoying little stuff, my Jimmy has never left me stranded, but it'll break exhaust hangers, power windows will quit every now and then, you know the little small things that bug you but its not a breakdown.

Rene

[​IMG]

8. Canuck

Canuck 1/2 ton status

Actually, now that I think of it, it's not life or death, but my rear power window does not work. This also seems to be a common problem with these Blazers, and brought up frequently on the K5 pages.
    Don't get me wrong, I'm not looking at bashing Blazers, just rootting out problems. I love my Blazer and with all the vehicles I've owned over the years, (and there's been alot) it is by far the best I've owned so far.

Canuck

Go Wide or Stay @ Home

9. JoeAngelicchio

JoeAngelicchio 1/2 ton status

Don't forget those crappy dashpads, minor but common.

<font color=green>Joe Angelicchio
    86 Jimmy 4+3, 35-&gt;39.5 tires,4spd
    </font color=green>
    [​IMG]

10. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

Every once in a while...usually when i'm in a hurry or with a girl, my door won't unlock, aqnd I have to roll down the window and hit the door where the rod is and open the handle at the same time. Also, I blow out my taillight/dash light/headlight buzzer fuse every time I tow my trailer because the wiring is messed up on it. I know its not the K5's fault though, the trailer blew out my friends fuse too when he borrowed it...

90K5

See my truck at <A target="_blank" HREF=http://albums.photopoint.com/j/Albumindex?u=1329584&a=9886502>http://albums.photopoint.com/j/Albumindex?u=1329584&a=9886502</A>

11. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

Most common problem I have is running out of $$$ to buy stuff for the Blazer....

<font color=blue> Taxes are Stealing</font color=blue>

12. backlash

backlash 1/2 ton status

No doubt about it! Hands down!

That's it!

Eric said it all

13. BOWTIE

BOWTIE 1/2 ton status

Not only for K-5s, but pickups also, cracked frame where steering box mounts to it.

MY K-5 DOESN'T LEAK... IT JUST MARKS ITS TERRITORY.

14. k5king

k5king 1/2 ton status

mine is tranny's,,,,,
    i toasted the transfer once,,,,bought a rebuilt one,,,two weeks later the tranny went,,,,to much to fix so i bought a used one,,it blew the week after that,,,then i bought a used th350and bought a 205 out of a wrecked truck,,,two week's later the th350 blew,,,had it rebuilt,,installed it,,,backed it out of the garage anbd went down the road,,,when it shifted into second gear it went "boom"..pulled it back out and took it back,,they fixed it,,so they say...put it back in,,,now it made a "whirring" sound all the time,,,,finally yanked it out a week later and got a TCI off my friend,,no more problem's,,,,then i started on the body work,,,,,hahaha,,,,now i got nothing but a bare frame and tub,,,,gonna find out how well all the new stuff work's sometime this year!!! I HOPE!!!

ANYBODY LOSE THEIR JEEP????????[​IMG]
    I JUST FOUND ONE UNDER MY BLAZER!!!![​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

15. TheBlazerKid

TheBlazerKid 1/2 ton status

Loose nut behind the wheel, that and ingnition modules

Theres No Replacement for Cubic Inches!