Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

whats your opinion on light bars?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 88MudBeast, Nov 1, 2001.

1. 88MudBeast

88MudBeast Registered Member

im considering getting a light bar, cause i cant fit my new lights on my grille guard. What do you think of them?

-88MudBeast

2. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

Personal prefernce.... There are lots of option Carr "Roto" & Trailblazer are my fav's........

C'moe

Kill Roy was here!

3. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Personally, I don't like them. On anything but a bogger or sand runner they get ripped off (at least if you actually plan to take it off road).

Russ

85 K30 CUCV, 350 TBI, TH400, 205, D60/C14, 4.56 Locked
    Some day: 4" lift, 44" tires, massive cutting, shorter wb and rear overhang.

4. loudandproud

loudandproud 1/2 ton status

Don't like them.

<font color=blue>'90 Jimmy</font color=blue>

Web page - http://coloradok5.com/gallery/album08

5. fr8train

fr8train 1/2 ton status

Since Ilive in a rural area and commute to the city sometimes ...I am forced to park in garges. Roof mount light bars and safari racksarent an option for me.

<a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/thatguydrew23>http://community.webshots.com/user/thatguydrew23</a>
    "JEEP....SO GIRLY, BARBIE HAD TO HAVE IT"

6. Derf00

Derf00 1/2 ton status

I agree w/personal preference, but I don't like them. K5's are big enough as is, and it is just another thing to get knocked off or torn up.

Derf00

7. White Knight

White Knight 1/2 ton status

I put one on the Knight, went wheeling with four Pro-comp 130's on it and returned home and took it off, they catch trees and everything else...if all you do is run the ashalpt jungle I would guess its okay, but not for me.....I'd sell mine to anyone who comes up with the first 25.00 less the lights.

Still a very pissed-off
    White Knight

8. Thumper

Thumper 1/2 ton status

I have ran a light bar for a lot of years and I like it lots. Up here in Alberta, we dont have the rock crawling, or the slickrock, but we do have lots of tight, muddy, tree covered and overgrown trails that I run very frequently. I run 4 KC hilites on my bar, and I have a cell phone antenna stuck to the roof as well as a 8' steel whip on my tire rack. I have never come close, seen, or heard of a light bar being torn off of any truck on any of our trails, unless you count the time I backed into the garage and forgot it was there (only happened once), and even then it didnt rip off. The garage actually took more damage. I do wheel the truck hard on our trails, but a little common sense prevails and I pick my path because the truck is high. Personal preference is the deciding factor, not the misconception that they will be immediately torn off.

Just my opinion.

Mike

<font color=blue>Thumper
    85 Fullsize Jimmy
    [​IMG]
    <font color=red>Aint Skeered!! </font color=red>

9. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

There is the key phrase, "forgot it was there". [​IMG] Besides, he says he can't fit his new lights on his grill guard, is that because he already has it loaded with lights? He doesn't say but it makes me wonder. How many lights does one truck need? Also, when I lived in AL (lots of muddy tree lined trails) I *have* personally seen a light bar ripped off and I've seen evidence of the damage on several occasions (busted/bent lights and even some significant roof damage caused by "forgetting" or misjudging). Many more pull them off and have to fill the holes due to experiences like Knight's.

I agree that you can be careful and generally avoid tearing it off. However, the same logic could be used to justify keeping small axles, "Hey, if I avoid the waterfalls and go gently in the rocks, and pick my line carefully, I can make those stock 10 bolts last with 38s!" Or how about, "I don't need tires bigger than 32" because I avoid cases where I need them and watch the terrain to avoid areas where I might get stuck." I've also been on many trails where thumb sized limbs contacted the upper part of the windshield and just slid right on over the top. Might mess up those pretty covers or damage a light! It just depends on your priorities. Most people would rather reduce the limiting factors that they have to deal with and improve the trucks capabilities rather than add problems for little or no benefit. Now, if he is more interested in looks, that is a different story. Some people like the rows of lights and the penalties don't matter. Those of us recommending against a light bar are not in that camp.

Oh, and how cool will it be out on a trail when you see a low limb up ahead. Your buddies trucks go through with a few inches to spare and the Jeeps don't even flinch. Then you have to say, "I'll meet you back at camp cause I'm afraid my light bar won't clear and there is no bypass." I'd say mount them on the bumper and, if it is already so full of lights that the new ones won't fit, you didn't need the new lights anyway (unless he goal is to impress the kids at the mall).

Yes, it is about preferences and priorities. Nobody said, "NO, YOU CAN'T DO THAT!". We just gave our opinions based on our experiences...

Russ

85 K30 CUCV, 350 TBI, TH400, 205, D60/C14, 4.56 Locked
    Some day: 4" lift, 44" tires, massive cutting, shorter wb and rear overhang.

10. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

I liked mine it was the carr one. It dos catch everything though. Two reasons I wont put it back on the Jimmy are one it wont fit anymore because the drain rails are trashed, and two when I rolled the jimmy the light bar caused more damage then the rollover itself as far as the roof goes. It put four big holes thorough the roof where the lights were and dented all around the bar. I probably will put one on the burb though because I like the way they look.

86Jimmy 4"&35"MTRs,87 burb 4"&35"MT,69Firebird w/525 hp,and 70GTO live in PHX,AZ<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/modifierperformance>My vehicles</a>

11. aaaaggh

aaaaggh 1/2 ton status

birmingham alabama cause there no ham like birming
    not a big fan of lights up to. the keep hanging on things.

would you mind un-wedging your fullsize from between those trees? your blocking the trail.

12. white_knight

white_knight 1/2 ton status

I like them and have one.
    They do get in the way sometimes ,

Night runs- awesome and fun

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.whiteknight.scriptmania.com/>http://www.whiteknight.scriptma
    nia.com
    </a>

13. Confederate9

Confederate9 1/2 ton status

i have one, and i like it. but where i am, not many of the trails are low so i dont have to worry bout that.

<font color=red>K5: Because size DOES matter</font color=red>
    85 K5 4IN LIFT 35 GOOD YEAR WRANGLER MT/R, AMERICAN RACING WHEELS