Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Whats your opinion?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by mybeast, Oct 15, 2000.

1. mybeast

mybeast Registered Member

I was just wondering what the general opinion was on roof mounted lights. One of my 4x4 mags. said that it was just a fad, and that the fad was dead. I like them and was thinking of adding some for looks as well as for function. Also does anyone have a roof rack? I have a 79 jimmy should I mount the rack on the cab or the fiberglass top? What brand of rack? Pics?

When all else fails MASH the skinny pedal!

2. riz

riz 3/4 ton status

<font color=purple>I feel that If it would be functional for you and you like it , then go for it ! I think the only fad to stay away from is neon ! God, I'm sick of seeing bright neon all over on a big truck. 16 bright pink neon shock boots have no place on a truck ! GAG .... GAK ...URP..... I better go, I think I'm going to be sick.</font color=purple>

<font color=purple>L8r,

.Riz.<font color=purple>

3. mybeast

Preach on brother riz.

4. archer

archer 1/2 ton status

I've heard they tend to be noisy. Whislin' on the highway, squeaky etc... I can't own them cause I'd never fit it in the garage and unless you live out in the desert, your big-coin Hella lights are going to be greeted by a fat tree limb at some point. I'm going the brush guard route myself.

"who dares wins"

5. White Knight

White Knight 1/2 ton status

Why not the best of both worlds...the Knight has 4 on the roof and 2 on the bull bar, have yet to smack 'em on anything, but of course I know how tall the Knight is and watch out for low overheads like that. They do not whistle on the highway, or make any noise that I can hear. Besides with 780 watts of light at night I can burn the low branches out of the way like a Lazer[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]LOL Good luck and put 'em where you WANT THEM and enjoy.

White Knight

6. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Blazer number two I had about 10 years ago had a light bar and 4 lights up there..........nice looking, nice lighting from that high point........BUT couldn't park in the garage, hit branches all the freakin' time and had to align the lights all the time. Prefer four on the front bumper.......

<font color=black>'79 - 406 TPI -<font color=orange> K5#5 - <font color=blue>http:// www.blazzinor.coloradok5.com

7. riz

riz 3/4 ton status

No matter what you decide, make sure they all have covers on them. It's a law where I'm from, but may not be everywhere. It's a good idea, since alot of people like to hit them all the time and it could be blinding and dangerous !

<font color=purple>L8r,

.Riz.<font color=purple>

8. AJMBLAZER

AJMBLAZER Better to be lucky than good. Premium Member

Just from my personal experiences:
    When I was in High School a few years back, this kid used to go out offroading with us. His dad paid for his truck and everything on it, as long as he got good grades. Well, he didn't know much about function, but then neither did we looking back at it now, he just knew less than us. He had a big triple bar chrome rollover bar on his pickup, and then his dad got him like 6 PIAA lights for the bar. He was totally stoked about it. Well, his truck had like a 10" lift and 39" Swampers on it. So it could go lots of places, but fitting in them was sometimes an issue. He followed my buddy's Ranger and my stock 86 Blazer down this trail. Like 300 feet into it, this big branch that passed about 2 feet over the top of my Blazer just knocked the he#$ outta those lights. Smashed some, knocked others off, and one was still up there, but the bulb was toast. That's a lot of coin down the drain. After that I gave up on the lights on the roof idea. The lights went on a new brush guard after that. Then he learned why Super Swampers aren't necessarily the best thing on ice that winter, and that was the end of that truck.[​IMG]

1992 Blazer Sport, 350 TBI, 4L60, 3" Gibson, K&N, 3" Rancho, 285/75R16 on 16x8 Baja's[​IMG]

9. Espen88k5

Espen88k5 1/2 ton status

My idea was getting the "matchbox-4x4" look. I really like them on the roof cause it looks tuff. [​IMG]The lights are increadable when driving on wet dark asphalt roads. It really lights upp the road infront off you.

I got a regular used roof-bar for free that the store had laying around. Its not the chromebar thing that the 4x4 catalogs sell but it was black/cheap and does the jobb.

I think it adds some "optical-effect" hight to your truck aswell.

Good luck with whatever you decide.
    Espen

http://www.espen88k5.coloradok5.com

10. 4GUNZ4X4Z

4GUNZ4X4Z 1/2 ton status

I've got 5 6"KC's on my light bar and its true I smack the heck out of them alot and when I first put it on I constantly realigned them, but now I just let them realign themselves. I've got 4 more on top that r 4" and 4 more on my brush guard its really an individual thing if you want a light bar or not. I tend to do alot of dusk till dawn offroading so for me the more lights the better. As far as the trend thing goes, I think its easy to tell between a "pretty boy's toy" and a true 4x4 enthusist. Be yourself do what you want and don't look back.
    Just my 2 cents.

<font color=blue>Professional <font color=red>JEEP EATER</font color=red>, it's a population control thing</font color=blue>[​IMG]

11. MuleMaster

MuleMaster 1/2 ton status

I'm aware that there are different opinions about roof mounted lights. My rig had them when I bought it, and I liked them, so they are still on the roof. Garage - wouldn't find one even without the lights (people drive pretty small cars in my country) Noise - ahem, I think all of all the noise The Mule produces the wind in the lights is to be neglected. Branches - that's why I carry a chainsaw in my rig (no, just joking, that's a real concern).
    I simply love the cool look (yes, that shouldn't be an issue for a blazer, I know, forgive me) and the light they give.
    Here's a pic of my rack:
    [​IMG]
    CU
    MuleMaster

<font color=blue>K5 Blazer...because size DOES matter
    http://projectmule.coloradok5.com</font color=blue>

12. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

That is the exact same lightbar I had on my second Blazer...........nice!

<font color=black>'79 - 406 TPI -<font color=orange> K5#5 - <font color=blue>http:// www.blazzinor.coloradok5.com

13. MuleMaster

MuleMaster 1/2 ton status

BlazzinOR,
    could be a good idea to change Your signature a little bit:
    Leave out the blank between http:// and www. Then the URL would be clickable without error! Not trying to be super-clever, just a thought.
    CU
    MuleMaster

P.S.: Clever clips for the MagLite on Your drivers door, will have to copy that if You don't mind ... [​IMG]

<font color=blue>K5 Blazer...because size DOES matter
    http://projectmule.coloradok5.com</font color=blue>

14. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

By all means, copy the Maglite mount (got the holders from Snap On Tools, by the way).

And a Thank You for pointing out my signature error, didn't realize it.

<font color=black>'79 - 406 TPI -<font color=orange> K5#5 - <font color=blue>http://www.blazzinor.coloradok5.com

15. dawson444

dawson444 1/2 ton status

Something I found was that carr makes a bar that you can fold down w/ the lights when you go wheelin. Check it out at www.carr.com.

Dawson
    88 K5

16. mybeast

Thanks for the help everyone.

17. FWP

FWP CRS

Have you read the other posts about leaking water inside the cab and rusting out all kinda good stuff? The rack looks good, but I would hesitate to put holes in the roof, unless it's too late. I guess that's why they make RTV [​IMG]

<font color=blue>Maverick</font color=blue> <font color=red>CH 4 or 35</font color=red>

18. DOUGHBOY

DOUGHBOY Registered Member

JUST TO LET YALL KNOW I DID THE MAG LITE HOLDER ON THE DOOR ALSO,BUT I GOT THEM AT MYERS IN THE CAMPING SECTION I THINK K-MART HAS THEM ALSO 3 BUCKS I THINK

guns dont kill postal workers do