Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Whats your price...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Wally81k5, Oct 4, 2002.

1. Wally81k5

Wally81k5 1/2 ton status

I was just talking to thumper there yesterday, and we got to talking about cheap rigs. Good deals are a part of cheap rigs. I was just wondering what kind of good deals all you have found in your day. The reason this come up is i was shopping a the dump and i found a set of 4 35"x14" gumbo monster muds that have some tread left. So that brings the total price of my rig to 250 CDN and a cd player for the motor. Granted it needs some elbow grease but what the hell. Tell me your stories.

Ryan

2. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

That leaves my Black Hole out of the pitcure

3. NCblackandredk5

NCblackandredk5 1/2 ton status

11 grand and still on 1/2 ton axles and 35's... gettin ready for a new motor too /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

4. 72THING

72THING 1/2 ton status

I got a 4.56 geared, open carrier D60 front for $550 and all it needed was fresh grease and a straightened tie-rod. Even all of the seals were in perfect condition. That's my greatest deal so far. Behind that would be the 4-bolt main 350 I got out of a 1981 Chevy RV for $300. It only had about 50K miles on it and included all accessories, brackets, etc. My 94 amp junyard alternator for $5 (which I'm running right now) was another good deal, and so was my truck, which I paid $400 for (before the modifications).

Will

5. outlaw612

outlaw612 1/2 ton status

I bought a 79 K20 with a good drivetrain for $300. Body was trash but everything else was good.

6. backyardbuilt

backyardbuilt 1/2 ton status

My blazer for 500$ it had a 6" lift 350,sm465, and np205. And I just bought 2 14FF's for 100$.

7. jeffro

jeffro 1/2 ton status

A pal of mine gave me a 72 cst for setting up a couple ring and pinions for him. My next door neighbor gave me a motor to put in it.

8. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

How about a free truck. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif
    My dad bought the suburban back in 1992 as a factory exec. He drove it for 8 years, and then it was mine. I've paid for all modifications - somewhere around $3500. The best part is that since he still "owns" it, he'll pay for repairs (not modifications) Like the new radiator it needed, etc. The worst part is that he still "owns" it. I plan on changing that by buying it and having my name on the title. How's that for a deal!

9. RedBrute

RedBrute 1/2 ton status

After searching for 12 years for a D60 in any shape or form, I found one still in a '78 K35 GMC. When I found it I didn't have the tools to pull it or a way to transport it. Spent one sleepless night, went back next A.M. and yanked it out. Got it for.................. $70 /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif the checkout dude said he had to charge me for the calipers, rotors, and tie rod too.(the dirty dogs) Total came to $145. I nearly peed my pants when I found it and allmost loaded 'em before I walked out. I thought with my luck some dope would point and scream D60! D60! and they'd say $1000 please. But I got it out and home and I am now the owner of the Holy Grail of frontends. And my wife doesn't get it, can't see why I'm so smug about this /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

The greatest deal i COULD have had... 350/350/203 combo for 100 dollars!! It was an old 350 but it ran when pulled and i coulda built it into a 383 or something... But somone bought it 2 days before i cameup with the cash. Same thing with a Sm465/205 for 150 dollars that this guy i knew was selling real cheap cause he was moving and had just put a built 440 and 40"grounhawgs on his ramcharger

11. Thumper

Thumper 1/2 ton status

K Ryan... you asked for it.
    Hehehe:

Motor- bought a 1969 chevy p/u that was totalled in the front 1/4 that had a '350 4bolt' for 150.00. Pulled the motor and sold the rest of the truck for $100.00 to a guy for a trailer. Dropped the motor into mine and ran it for 2 yrs. Finally it lost oil pressure one day, and I dropped the oil pan to fix it and I see only 2bolt mains. WTF? I research the stamped number on the front of the motor and it comes back as a 327 from a 68 Vette! I talk to the guy who owned the truck I pulled it from, and he gives me the number of the guy who swapped the motor into it... he confirms that it was the 327 out of his Vette. He still owned the Vette a new built 350 in it. So: 1968 Corvette 327- $50.00

Lift kit- I wanted a 4" susp lift... couldnt afford new so I decided to advertise on the local radio show. Some guy calls and says he has a truck that is lifted 4" and he doesnt like it. If I do all the work, and swap my stock susp into his I can have the lift kit incl. shocks for free! So: 4" Rancho lift kit $30.00 (labor at the base auto shop)

Axles- Had a freind with a 79 Blazer really rough with rust. He was parting it out, so I askled him about his diffs. They were recent rebuilds... 12 bolt rear, 4:56, Tru-Trac, Dana44 front, 4:56, open and he wanted $800.00. So I bought em, and he tossed in the rest of the Blazer for free. I ended up with the roof rack, a set of Go! Rhino axle trusses, spare hardtop, multiple small pieces and parts, new front quarters, new hood. Sold the hood and quarters and lots of small stuff... price for diffs: around 600.00.

trans/ t-case- had a friend on base here that was getting posted. He was building a Chevy pickup and had a spare set of trans and t-case he had just had rebuilt. So: TH400 tranny, NP205 transfer case both freshly rebuilt 0 miles: $600.00.

Tires- flippin thru the local bargain paper... I see a set of 35x15.50 15" Swampers, good shape, asking 650.00. I troop down there and he rolls them out... Swamper TSL SXs, maybe 90% tread on them, awesome shape, he used them for mud racing. He said they made about 10 passes thru the pits till he figured out they were too wide so neded to get rid of them! So: 35x15.50 Swamper TSL SX, 90% tread left: $600.00.

Wheels- same bargain paper, next day... a set of 15x10 turbines, 400.00. I drive there and look at em. American Racing, 15spoke turbines awesome shape, small crack in one. So: 15x10 wheels for my swampers: $300.00.

Hmmm what else...

Guess thats it... /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Good luck with your other cheap projects guys!
    Mike

12. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

for 300 i saw an add in the swap sheet for a 350 with a sm465 from a 79 3/4 ton...crap body...whole truck for $350. not only would you get a working 350 and tranny..but also the axls from it!

13. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

well we paid $17,000 for the sub when we got it but if you don't count that i've only got about $3500 into it so far. sad part is that nearly $700 worth of parts are not installed yet. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

14. k5ntexas

k5ntexas 1/2 ton status

well get to wrenchin boy. lol. ya got all those parts just layin around well put em in. you'll like em i'm sure. lol. wish i had parts lying around. i have nothing but a horrible lookin carb from my blazer that i need to rebuild. later.

jacob

15. blazerboy72

blazerboy72 1/2 ton status

<font color="blue"> the only good deals i have found for my /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif are my 38.5 groundhawgs w/ wheels for 200 and the free 14 bolt </font color>

16. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

3/4 ton axles...$250
    73 k20 frame and cab....free, had to drive to Dallas and haul off.
    350, good condition, but no heads....free, came in above frame/cab combo
    87 Silverado pickup bed, very good conditon....$125 (I think that's what I paid, at least.)

I've gotten some good deals on interior stuff too. Just a few days ago I got some good 79 or 80 door panels and the glove box door from the same truck for $20. I HAD been considering buying replacement door panels for $200+. Just the platic backing for the glove box (which was I needed) costs more than $20 from the resto catalog, so I look at it like the door panels were free.
    -- Mike

17. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

I got stock Blazer springs, power steering pump, 8 lug dana 44 with a cracked housing but good for parts, 14bff, NP205 for $300

18. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

Bought the initial rig from a MECHANIC one night that was hard up for money. His boss is a friend of mine and sent me over there to get another tuff truck so I could go back to the races. This guy wanted $1000 for the truck and it WAS in pretty decent shape. I bargained him down to $431, all my roommate and I had on us. We watched him try and try to crank it over and failed, so we used that as a bargaining chip. He also Thought it had a knock to the motor, but I haven't changd it yet! Went over the next day with a fresh battery, hooked it up, fired the truk, and drove home. So, $431 got me a running blazer, misc snap on tools, a sweet snap on blanket, a winter coat, 3 lug wrenches, and a pair of jumper cables.

Got sponsored for my radiator and new seats too

19. SkulzNBonz

SkulzNBonz 1/2 ton status

Edelbrock Performer Manifold= FREE!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Accel Super HEI= FREE /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Installed= 1 six pack . My buddy has a 350 w/ a 6.71 blower and said he didn't need that stuff no more. Lucky day!!!!

John

20. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

So far I have parted out about 12 trucks, keeping what I wanted and selling off the rest. I am ahead by an unknown amount (never kept track) but all I have so far is a pile of parts /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

After I get some other projects out of the way I will start on my wheeling rig. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif