Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Whats your wheelbase with a doubler?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by sled_dog, Dec 8, 2004.

1. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

My project is an 85 S10 Blazer. Factory wheelbase is 100.5". Didn't want to stretch it much past that wheelbase, but I landed a Ford 205 cheap and know I can get the 203 too so Doubler looks like its gonna happen. Looking for what the shortest wheel base people are running with a doubler is.

2. jac6695

jac6695 1/2 ton status

Really depends on amount of lift and rear axle travel. I was at 106" with a TH400/Gen 1 Doubler combo for years(with a 454 and 1330 CV rear output). I would say that you would be OK at around 102" and Gen 2 Doubler with the rear axle travel within reason. I just lengthened my wheelbase to 109" and will be going 1 more inch soon. I really didn't like the feel of the stock K5 wheelbase with my S10 Blazer/K5 frame combo. I feel that 112"-118" wheelbase is ideal.

3. yunit

yunit 1/2 ton status

I am at 112".

4. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Not really thinking about using a Gen I or II doubler, not really looking at ORD. Thinking more about dhdescenders new setup or WMS.

5. dhdescender

dhdescender 1/2 ton status

Qualicum Beach, British Columbia, Canada - Eh.

ditto, 112 here too.

6. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Honestly, driveshafts are not an excuse to run or not run a certain driveline combo. Kurt, (with the orange 1st gen Jimmy) runs TH400/klune/doubler and with Jesse's 42* CV in the rear, he hasn't had any issues recently. Anything within reason can be made to happen with the proper drivelines. My front driveshaft is a prime example.

7. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I agree with Tim. Make your truck whatever wheelbase you think will work best for your needs and make the drivelines fit the wheelbase. The perfect wheelbase is nonexistent. It is all trades offs. Longer wheelbases are better some places (like Moab) where shorter wheelbases are better other places. It is all dependent on what you wheel. If you put a 125" wheelbase truck with stiff suspension that works awesome in Moab in Phoenix and it will have a hard time with the tight turns and need for flex that we have here. Vice Versa is the case though. Trucks that do well here in AZ tend not to do so well in Moab.

Build your wheelbase and your truck to your wheeling environment and make things like driveshafts fit what you need to build.

Harley

8. chvyhs

chvyhs 1/2 ton status

139" and it works great!