Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

wheeeeeeee!!!! pickup new motor and tranny on tuesday

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by RESTORE89, Oct 22, 2001.

1. RESTORE89

RESTORE89 1/2 ton status

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]ordered my new motor and tranny and am scheduled to pickup at dealer tommorrow
    went with the 230hp replacement motor, cause the parts guy said they have had trouble
    with the 330hp using the stock tbi (anybody else heard this?) plus it was cheaper
    also ordered the tranny from the dealer $1200
    i wanted to go with the raptor tranny, but the cost was less and the warranty is far
    better with the GM tranny 3-50 same as the motor and if any problems, any Goodwrench
    mechanic will warranty parts and labor, and the raptor you supply the labor

It needs a bigger motor.
    what's in it now?
    doen't matter it NEEDS A BIGGER MOTOR
    89 350tbi/700r4h/np208/4.11's

2. bigk

bigk 1/2 ton status

Keep us posted on performance. I know 230 hp ain't all that much, but after 185K on my motor that probably was only good for 200 to start with, I bet it would be an awesome improvement. I also wonder what a cam change, and maybe vortec heads would do later on as funds allow. Headers and a chip could be considered, too.

Karl
    Temporarily Unemployed Underwear Model
    87 3/4 ton

3. SAVAGE1

SAVAGE1 1/2 ton status

I know how you feel. I'm going through the same thing with my K5. I already ordered the tranny just shopping around for the engine. Are you getting yours from the dealer?

Rod
    Alameda, CA
    85 K5 6"ProComp 35"Boggers 14Bolt/ Dana44 4.10's
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/K5Jungle>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/K5Jungle</a>

4. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

i was looking at the GM replacement engine too. but i found a rebuild shop in central CA with a 5yr 50,000 mile warrenty even if i install it...just have a 2hr drive to get it. GM will only give me 1yr/12k if i install it. but i like the idea of an all new engine...too bad i am always broke[​IMG]

-Zakk
    '77 K5 SB 400 TH350 NP203 p/t 6" Lift D60 14BFF 4.10's 36"Wrangler II's

[​IMG] CK5's MOAB 2002 OR BUST!! [​IMG]

5. RESTORE89

RESTORE89 1/2 ton status

[​IMG][​IMG]got the new motor and tranny in the back of my pick up as we speak went ahead and got new balancer and water pump, flywheel, and am wainting on a new 208 from boyce equipment to be delivered either friday or monday. asked cory (my bud at the dealer) and he said for the headache the headers were not worth the performance gain. i already have the chip just not yet installed. as for heads and cam, not for another 3 years or 50k miles when the warranty runs out
    even if i install myself they said 3 or 50k and you can take it to any dealer or goodwrench mech and they will repair. that is why i went dealer total so far 3970.00 but i get 350 back for cores same warranty on both motor and tranny
    i am going to have a local shop do the swap
    1k to install new motor tranny and xfer case, and i do not have the aches and pains involved, i want a reliable daily driver

It needs a bigger motor.
    what's in it now?
    doen't matter it NEEDS A BIGGER MOTOR
    89 350tbi/700r4h/np208/4.11's

6. SAVAGE1

SAVAGE1 1/2 ton status

Hey Zakk, how much was that motor and where is the shop? Is it just a stock rebuild? I'm in the Bay Area too so that might be an option for me.

Rod
    Alameda, CA
    85 K5 6"ProComp 35"Boggers 14Bolt/ Dana44 4.10's
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/K5Jungle>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/K5Jungle</a>