Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Wheel Adapters / Any experience w/these ?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 2bhntn, Jan 21, 2004.

1. 2bhntn

2bhntn Registered Member

Couple questions...please anyone.

I would like to change out to the 14ff from my current 12bolt rear diff.

Problem is I want to keep my high $$ investment in rims on the truck. So I was considering wheel adaptors to change the bolt pattern, 6 to 8 lug.

?? has anyone run wheel adaptors and are the safe ?

?? do I have to change the front diff out for a dana 60 or is it real bad to leave the 10bolt in ?

Thank you in advance.

2. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

I haven't used them, but I've never heard any horror stories about them. One problem with the idea is that the 6 lug rims most likely won't have a center hole large enough to fit over the 14 bolt FF hub...this can be fixed.
    By swapping in a 14 bolt FF with the adapters, you realize the rear track width will now be 3" wider, right? That will bring the rear pretty similar to the front as far as width goes. And, as long as you have the same gear ratio in the front and rear, there's no need to swap out the front axle too, just keep running the 6 lug stuff up there.

3. 2bhntn

2bhntn Registered Member

Cool Heavy4x4. That's what I was looking for thanks.

[ QUOTE ]
    Quote from Heavy 4x4....6 lug rims most likely won't have a center hole large enough to fit over the 14 bolt FF hub...this can be fixed.

[/ QUOTE ] Hmmmmm ? Would you mind elaborating on how to fix that ?

[ QUOTE ]
    Quote by Heavy4x4... you realize the rear track width will now be 3" wider, right? That will bring the rear pretty similar to the front as far as width goes

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep, two birds with one stone. Cool

4. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

The hub bore on a standard 6 lug is 3". The hub snout on a 14FF is larger than 3". You usually have to have the hub machined down a little along with the axle falnge.

5. rick88blaze

rick88blaze 1/2 ton status

There are guys on here that make the 6 to 8 lug adaptors. In regards to the center hole, you'll have to get the hubs on the 14ff machined down a little bit so your 6 lug rims and the adaptor will fit over them. I don't know how much, but it's not enough to hurt the strength of the hub. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Rick