Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Wheel Alignment Question????

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by stimpy, May 6, 2001.

1. stimpy

stimpy Registered Member

Hey All.
    I have a qeustion about wheel alignment. My 84' K5 4x4 pulls to the right, and the outside tread of the right front tire is wearring out faster than the rest of the tire. Now would this be a camber adjustment or a toe-in adjustment. Any help would be great, I would like to fix it in the next couple of hours. The Kings and Lakers are playing!!!!!! GO KINGS!!!!

Thanks All,
    Todd Miller
    Lake Tahoe, CA

love my blazer, and 43 Dodge Carryall
    IF IT'S SNOWING AND IT'S DEEP. I'LL BE OUT IN IT!!!!!!

2. yeild2me

yeild2me 1/2 ton status

has it always done this or has it just started??

you will not have one one tire with toe-in and one with out...the tires will always split the difference evenly and all you will end up is a uncentered steering wheel..

since few people know for sure how to adjust the camber, i would have to say that either 1.) a recent wheeling trip or that curb at 7-11 damaged something. or 2.) you have worn out steering/suspension components...

on the lighter side..
    ....its just the road crown that is pulling it to the right, and maybe you make more right hand turns than left...

just my .02, i have been fighting this alignment issue for quite a while now....

AIRBORNE!!

3. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

Sounds like the camber is out a bit.

For the record, from what I've seen, R.F. outer edges wear out faster than anything else (speaking tread wear) I believe it is because people take L.H. turns faster than sharp R.H. turns. That is one of the meany reasons people need to CROSS rotate tires instead of the normanl front to back rotate. In a cross rotation the current R.F. tire will not get back to the R.F. until you have completed 4 (5 with a spare) rotations. Also I would recomend it every time you change oil (3000 miles or so) to keep the wear pattern in check. Cross rotaion = LF to RR, RR to RF, RF to LR.

There are 2 ways to alighn the font axle on a soilid axle truck.

1- upper ball joint has a sleave under the nut. The sleave can be swapped out for ones of different offset centers that can be rotated to set the caster/camber.

2- Behind the spindles you can install a tapered 8-hole shim of different thicknesses to bring the caster/camber into spec.
    (this is by-far more labor intensive and is not comonly used, but it is another option)

Also, check for ball joint wear.

Twiztid

4. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

No clue about the alignment, I don't mess with that stuff yet...but I was replying to the Go Kings! And yes Go Kings! I hope they kick Laker tail. I can't stand Shaq period. The guy, well I can't say what I really think since I am a nice girl....so instead I will say GO KINGS!!!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

"Suck Fumes Ford Boy"
    "I love my country, I fear my government"
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.chevycagal.homestead.com/steph.html>http://www.chevycagal.homestead.com/steph.html</A>