Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Wheel Axle Bearing

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Frank, Aug 4, 2003.

1. Frank

Frank Registered Member

I have an 87 Chevy Blazer 4x4 and I'm going to replace the rear Wheel Axle Bearing.
    My problem is I'm trying to remove old the Rear Wheel Axle Bearing and it won't budge. I'm using a dent puller to remove the wheel bearing.
    What would you recommend I should do?
    I'd appreciate any tips. Thanks!

2. mike reeh

mike reeh 1/2 ton status

I recommend renting or buying a slide hammer bearing puller! It will be worth it. You can probably buy one cheap at harbor freight or pep boys, or rent one cheap or free at autozone, kragen, etc etc.

btw you been reg'd exactly 2 years and only 10 posts? :/

mike

3. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

rears are a pain. my buddy did his on a ramcharger and had lots of problems. bought the smaller harbor freight puller and bent the tip. then bought the heavy duty one and bent that one! ended up torching it out. he had axle savers in tho on one side. that one was the bitch. if u dont have those, it should come out with the bearing puller. it wont come out with a dent puller unless your really lucky. definatly buy the big one tho.

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

How bad are the axleshafts? Your wasting your time if you don't use repair bearings. All the semi-floating axleshafts I've pulled (7.5", 8.5", 12 bolt) have the bearing surface all torn up.

Just a word of advice I guess. I don't know as I'll ever replace axle bearings again until I *know* they are the cause. The first set I did was because of a noise I (mistakenly) thought was bearings.

I loaded my axle in the back of another vehicle, drove to a store that rented tools, and used a slide hammer with outward facing jaws on them.