Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

wheel backspacing with histeer

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Blazinaire, Nov 29, 2003.

1. Blazinaire

Blazinaire 1/2 ton status

Here's the dilema: I am currently running 15x10 wheels with 3 5/8'' bs. In the near future I will be moving to 17x8 (or 9'') wheels. The only manufacturer that I have been able to find with 17''s that have 3 5/8'' bs was weld wheel which never really floated my boat (although I can get them ridiculously cheap.) My question is: will wheels with 4 5/8'' backspacing fit? Pretty much every wheel manufacturer makes the size/pattern I need with 4 5/8'' bs. I'm sure that they would fit with stock style steering but I am running histeer with the tierod to the back and am worried about clearance. I have no way of test fitting a wheel without special ordering it and then getting nailed with a fat restocking fee if it doesn't fit.

Anybody here run 17''s on their 1/2 ton axles? If so what brand and what back spacing? How about just anyone running 4 5/8'' backspacing?

2. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

Break out the tape measure. Figure your running a 9" wide wheel with 4 5/8" of backspacing. This means that you have 4 5/8" from the WMS to the end of the wheel. Get either a level or something that is similar and rigid so you can measure off of. Use that so you can measure around and see where you might have clearance problems. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. XtrmChevy

XtrmChevy 1/2 ton status

If you have the tierod behind the axle, the tierod is supposed to be shorter than it would if its in front of the axle. This is due to getting that ackerman system to work. Then you can use more backspace if you have the tierod at the same height.

4. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

all the high steer arms i have looked at, and im looking right now, bring the tie rod in. making it shorter. i belive for the very reason you are talking
    Grant

5. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

....I suppose 1" wheel spacers are out of the question? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Is there ANY wheel you can borrow temporarily with the correct BS? Some kind of steel one, or whatever... I tend to be very "visual" so I can relate to wanting to bolt up a wheel and move it around and see what is happening.

If it were me, I'd use the wheel spacer during the "setup" phase just to see how it changes things. If you can get satisfactory results....maybe you could order a set of Welds with the custom 3-5/8" backspacing you need....

6. Blazinaire

I got the chance last week to bolt up a 17'' robby gordon beadlock w/4 5/8'' backspacing and..... IT FITS!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif Thank god because I really didn't want welds /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif on my truck, although I could have had them for half off list price /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif

7. balzackks84

balzackks84 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

So is this post about wheel backspacing and hysteer or is it really about rubbing in the deal you can get on Welds? /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

8. Blazinaire

no, it isn't about my deals /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

The only reason I mentioned weld wheels is because they were the only manufacturer that I have been able to locate that made a 17'' wheel with 3 5/8'' bs (what I am currently running with my 15''s.)

I wouldn't be able to fit a 15'' wheel that had 4 5/8'' bs so I was trying to figure out if the extra 1'' of wheel from each side of the hub would be enough to clear my double steer histeer arms.

If I could have any wheel that I wanted for free it still wouldn't be a weld, the 2-piece design sucks and forged wheels are more prone to bending (although often times they can be straightened) I am 99% sure that I will be going with 17x9'' mickey thompson classic II's with 4 5/8'' bs with OMF reinforcement rings welded in (no beadlocks.)