Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

wheel backspacing

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by imconfused, Jul 6, 2000.

1. imconfused

imconfused Registered Member

I will be in the market for new wheels and was wondering if I need to worry about the backspacing. I now have a set of 33x12.50x15 ProComp AT tires and plan on using 15x10 wheels .

2. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

Get something with 3.5-3.75 inches of backspacing. 4 inches is bad...the lip of the rim will rub the tie rod ends when you turn a corner. I have 3 5/8 inches on mine and I think they're perfect.

'73 K5
    Chevy good...Ford bad

3. Udy

Udy Registered Member

I've had a few blazers with many different tire/wheel combos and never had a problem with the wheel comming in contact with anything until my '91. I bought a set of "Z Racing" polished aluminum wheels 2 last year. They came in contact with the tie-rod ends! It was enough to loose all the wheel weights (clamp on style). I had to install 1/4 inch spacers with longer wheel studs in order to get adequate lug nut thread engagement. I don't know what spec to use, but measure the stock wheel (mounting surface to innermost rim surface) and note how much clearance there is to the tie rod ends. Then compare before you buy wheels! Good luck.