Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

wheel bearing adjustment?? D44

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by toy4x4runner, Nov 3, 2004.

1. toy4x4runner

toy4x4runner 1/2 ton status

Hey guys, new on here. what is the procedure and specs for adjusting the bearings on the D44 front axles? disc brake, 1973 axle. torque, preload...etc?

2. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

IIRC, 50 ft. lbs torque on the sindle nuts. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

3. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Hell no!! 50 ft lbs on the outer nut maybe!

The inner nut gets tightened until it seats, backed off a 1/4 turn and that's it. The spec is somewhere in the neighborhood of .015" end play.

4. toy4x4runner

toy4x4runner 1/2 ton status

IIRC???? 50ft/lbs and leave them... or losen them back up and stuff??

5. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    50ft/lbs and leave them... or losen them back up and stuff

[/ QUOTE ]

I "think" Tim is right. 50 ft. lbs on the outer nut. I'll have to double check in my book. That's why I said IIRC. I have heard that you need to re-adjust them after drving a few miles on them. I haven't done it yet, but I think it was Kennyw that posted up about adjusting them. I just replaced my wheel bearings a few weeks ago, and I think I need to adjust them. The front is starting to wander a bit more than it did right after I replaced them. I wouldn't think about adjusting them, but the rest of my front end is new (ball joints, tie rod, draglink, stabilizer, steering box, etc.) Unless I broke a ball joint and don't know it. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

6. kyser_soze

kyser_soze 1/2 ton status

This is the information out of the chiltons truck manual 1971-1978
    "1. Inner nut torque to 50 ft. lbs while rotating the hub. Then back off the inner nut. Re-torque to 35 ft. lbs while still rotating the hub. To complete, back off the inner nut an additional 3/8 of a turn maximun.
    2. Assemble the lock washer and the outer lock nut to the spindle. Torque the outer lock to 50 ft. lbs. minimum. The hub should have .001 to .010 end play."
    This is the direct instructions from the manual. I followed them earlier this month and the instructions work perfectley. Good luck. /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

7. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

I find when I do them now that the inner nut is about hand tight, and the outer is something like 50 ft lbs. I always use the procedure in the book and tighten the inner one while rotating the wheel and then back it off, yada yada yada. After all that it ends up being hand tight or just past that.

8. POWERMAD

POWERMAD 1/2 ton status

Ding ding, we have a winner.
    Semi steer axle and drive axle wheel bearings are set up in the same manner.
    Being a lead tech I will make a newb take a wheel back apart if that is not followed.
    Long ago I was doing the calibrated hand it feels right adjustment.
    Had a rig hauling 80K in a blizzard in OK lose the right steer axle wheel. rig wiped out and the wheel ran across the median and hit another car.
    I was able to keep my job but you can damn sure bet I always use a tourqe wrench to install hubs now.
    I found it is alot less embarrasing to break out a torque wrench than to be behind closed doors explaing what ya did and how ya did it.

9. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I found it is alot less embarrasing to break out a torque wrench than to be behind closed doors explaing what ya did and how ya did it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Embarrasing? I'm proud of my torque wrench, I use it whenever I can.