Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Wheel bearing adjustment.....

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Zeus33rd, Mar 20, 2002.

1. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

What is the proper procedure for adjusting wheel bearings? Tighten the first nut how much? The second? I'm constantly lookin for soimethin to tinker with, and this will be my project for tomorrow. /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

2. Den

Den 1/2 ton status

the second is a locknut isnt it??

3. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

Well I have never had much luck with using the torque specs for wheel bearings so I have just done it by "feel" in the past... I spin the wheel while tightening the inner nut...I tighten it until the wheel spins for a revolution or two before it stops...the put in that lock washer looking thing (it can be a biatch to get lined up correctly with the pin on the inner nut /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif)Then crank down the outer lock nut...I torque this one to spec which is quite a bit IIRC (like 100+ ft./lbs.)...
    GL...It's not that hard...

Chris

4. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

Thanks for the info...Thats more or less how I've been doing it. Ha...Didnt get to it today though...Got busy working on a friends '90 K5. /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif