Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

wheel bearing advice

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by obijuan, Nov 7, 2006.

1. obijuan

obijuan 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

the other day my (10b) wheel bearing adjustment nut came out of adjustment because the locking ring came out of that track?? dont know how, but, the hub rotor assy was wobbly, not too much, but enough to touch the caliper bracket and rub the rim occasionally.
    the question is should i replace the bearing or can i just tighten the nut up and new locking ring?

thanks in advance

2. ryan22re

ryan22re 1/2 ton status

I would at least check the bearing(s) - there are two of them. And the spindle where the bearings ride.

3. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

Sounds like they were never adjusted right in the first place. That outer nut gets torqued to 160 ft-lbs, so there's no way it could just back off all by itself.
    The tab washer only holds the inner nut in place while the outer nut is being tightened.

Remove the bearings and inspect them. If they look ok, then reinstall and adjust properly. If it feels funny or they don't want to adjust correctly, then replace them.

4. k5floyd

k5floyd 1/2 ton status

if youre taking it all apart i would replace the bearings anyway unless theyve been replaced sorta recently. theyre not very expensive. the bearings on one side of my 10b went from just needing replacing to blowing up in 2 days and the only thing holding the wheel on the axle were those nuts on the shaft(haha) and the caliper. was wobbling like crazy. supprised it all did break off while i was driving. the whole hub assembly was destroyed as well as the caliper bolts. just my 2 cents.