Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Wheel Bearing exploded view

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Suffergauge, Nov 18, 2002.

1. Suffergauge

Suffergauge 1/2 ton status

I am attempting to make my efforts "stupid proof" by obtaining an exploded view of the wheel bearing assyembly from the rotor to the hub. My chiltons does not include pictures of the wheel bearings in any of the directions for that area of the blazer, only elploded views of the hubs. I can turn the hell out of a wrench but I want to be positive that this is done right the first time. I know someone has to have something.

Thanks,

2. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

Well, I don't have an exploded view but I can tell you whats in there... From the inner wheel bearing out you have:

-inner wheel bearing
    -outter wheel bearing
    -Wheel bearing nut
    -locking washer
    wheel bearing lock nut
    -locking hub assembly

thats it...and that is assuming the bearing races are already pressed into the hub/rotor assembly...just make sure you get the torque stting right and it will be good to go..

the best thing to do is pull it apart and lay all the parts oin order on the floor, then you will know whats in there and in what order..
    Chris

3. Suffergauge

Thanks Chris,
    That is maore to go on than I had prior. I would have just laid it all out in order but it all came out a mangled mess, long story. I found the torque specs in my chilton's.

4. Muley

Muley 1/2 ton status

Most of the time you can get a dealership to print you off the exploided view that they use to hunt parts. Then you know what you need.

5. Rob 85K5

Rob 85K5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

10 bolt front [​IMG]

6. CooknwithGas

CooknwithGas 1/2 ton status

Question for ya Rob:

Will the axle assembly 20, 21, 22 (with the u-joint) slide through the hole in assemly "16" without removing all of the steering linkage?

If so, that would be GREAT.

Thanks for your help.

Scott.

7. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

yes, the axle shaft WILL slide through the steering knuckle...all you have to do is take the hub/rotor assembly off and remove the spindle and the axle shaft is free game for coming out...

Chris

8. CooknwithGas

CooknwithGas 1/2 ton status

Thanks Chris. That is Good news. I have been putting off changing those u-joints because I thought it was a much bigger job and I didn't have the time. I expect something will go wrong, but at least I don't have to get into any ball joints.

9. Suffergauge

Thanks a million Rob. Once I got all the parts it was alot easier to see how it went together. Now I just hace to get back to the part store and replace the oil seal that I destroyed putting everything back together /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif . If you are gonna pull the rotor assy. buy a few of these seals just in case ya pull a stupid like me! I thought it wasn't going on right, smacked it a few times, yanked it off and the goofy spring that holds the seal tight against the axle was a fubar'd.
    Lesson #1 - when you think you are doing it right... read the directions again! /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

10. Rob 85K5

Rob 85K5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

If you don't have a seal installer, then use a piece of wood on the seal.