Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Wheel bearing grease

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Shaggy, Nov 15, 2002.

1. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> What kind of grease do you guys run in your wheel bearings? Last time I did the bearings in my D44 I used Marine grease that's meant for boat trailers, it didn't seem to do any harm, but I'm wondering if there's anything bad about using that as opposed to regular old wheel bearing grease. I also have a tub of Mobil 1 synthetic grease, but the stuff is so expensive and I'm not sure if it's worth the extra money to use it. Comments? </font color>

2. Waxer

Waxer 1/2 ton status Author

I too have used Marine grease and it's always worked fine for me. No excessive bearing or race wear at all. I like it.

3. ken

ken 1/2 ton status

I have been using the blue Sta-Lube boat trailer wheel bearing grease for close to 20 years in my front wheel bearings with no ill-effects.

4. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> Excellent. Thanks guys, boat trailer grease it is. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif </font color>

5. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

The only bad thing about the marine grease is that it is not high temp disc brake grease. If there is excessive heat in the front brakes then the properties of the grease will begin to break down and not do its job properly.

6. hammer

hammer 1/2 ton status

slick 50 grease /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

7. wrathORC

wrathORC 1/2 ton status

I used to buy Wolf's Head red grease but it's impossible to find and cost too much to buy and ship via the internet. It never separated like all the greases I've seen. There was never liquid in the bottom of the tub.

I use Valvoline red grease now. Their regular stuff isn't worth a [censored] and will separate bigtime. The red stuff isn't too bad.

In my opinion, plain-jane marine grease isn't good enough for the front of a vehicle. My hubs get pretty hot. They get more warm than an overloaded boat trailer's hubs. I'm certain it'd separate even worse than standard grease.

I haven seen this off-brand high temperature marine grease at Wally-world but I don't have the nerve to try off-brand grease. Not to mention I'm cheap.

8. 74Chev

74Chev 1/2 ton status

I have used the blue boat trailer grease for about 5 years and have had my front end under deep water, mud, etc. with no problems. I also tow up to 7,000 lbs. almost every day of thesummer and the 3/4 ton brakes have never boiled the grease out and I have been running the same bearings for years (can't remember when I replaced them.) Last week I cleaned and repacked and used a ultra high performance grease I carry at my lube shop. It is Chevron Ulti-plex EP. This is an extremely tacky, grease. It is designed for operation under the most extreme pressures and harshest operating conditions and temperatures such as logging, mining, mills, etc. I am not sure of the availability, I buy it from my oil supplier.

9. POWERMAD

POWERMAD 1/2 ton status

Two thumbs up for the Chevron grease. Wearing gloves is not an option when handling that stuff.