Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Wheel bearing insanity

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by MOBK5, Apr 8, 2006.

1. MOBK5

MOBK5 1/2 ton status

Ok, I did my wheel bearings for the 2nd time in 3 months today. The first time I burned them up by not having enough grease in them, but hey Im 18 and learning.

But now that ive replaced them again, put globs of blue high temp grease in them, and tightened them up, I still get death wobble. The wheel isnt moving back and forth like loose wheel bearings would, but maybe I overtightened them? Is that possible? Please help me out guys, Im in highschool and just moved out of my parents house and need transportation. Thanks.:bow:

2. 79Jimmy

79Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Yes it is possible to overtighten them. The inner spindle nut should not be cranked down. You said you put "gobs" of grease in which is good. I like to nearly fill the hub, the space between the inner and outer bearings, with grease when I do mine. Have you checked your ball joints for wear and play.

James

3. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Probably overtightened.. iirc, you tighten them to 12 lbs while moving the rotor back and forth. Then back the nut up one flat and install cotter...