Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Wheel bearing inspection

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by djohnsn, Mar 30, 2001.

1. djohnsn

djohnsn 1/2 ton status

I need some help evaluating the condition of my wheel bearings and spindle (This is on a 10-bolt front out of a 90K5). The roller portion of the bearings don't have any obvious discoloration or roughness, and they roll smoothly. The inner ring (surface that contacts the spindle) has some discoloration in places. Its not blue like overheating. There are some areas that are kinda rust colored and a spot or two that is slightly shinny. The spindle has matching areas. Is this discoloration expected, or do I need to replace the bearings and spindle?

DJ
    78 K5

2. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

Try checking the bearing fit to the spindle, should be snug but not loose. The discolorration is kinda normal from what I've seen, the weight of the truck on the spindle/bearings causes them to "side" load and ride on one side (upper/lower) part of the spindle. Normal to a dergee, does not sound like the bearings are spinning on the spindle, witch is a good thing.Fromwhat I've seen the bearings can take the abuse,spndles take the punishment, check for grooves worn into the spindle. If it loooks worn, try rotateing the spindle one or two bolt holes. Hope this helps you out.

Twiztid