Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Wheel Bearing Packing/Replacing - My Experience

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by RiceDaddy, Dec 1, 2002.

1. RiceDaddy

RiceDaddy Registered Member

Cleaning and packing (or replacing and packing) front wheel bearings has been covered well before in here, but I thought I would share a couple of things I ran accross when I replaced my bearings last weekend.

People don't talk about the spindle needle bearings much, but I guess I would reccommend if you're already doing the wheel bearings, go ahead a pull the spindle. Just remove a few nuts and maybe a little coaxing from the dead blow to get it off. Check the needle bearings on the inside of the spindle. Don't have to replace these unless they're bad, mine were ok. Also check the rubber seals on the back side. Mine were worn, cracked, and not really plyable any more. Spindle bearing kits usually have the needle bearings and both rubber seals in there for a few bucks. Replace the seals and keep the bearings in your trail box.

On another note, and some may disagree, but always replace the bearing races if you replace the bearings. Sometimes it's tough to see wear on the races, but if you've got pits in your bearings, more than likely your races are slightly damaged. Even slight wear on a race will shorten the life of your new bearing.

Now is also a good time to take a look at your brake caliper bolts. Clean all the junk off of them, get them nice and smooth, lube em, and put em back. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

2. KRAZIE87K5

KRAZIE87K5 1/2 ton status

This is all great advice for folks doing this type of work on their rigs! Excellent job Kevin, keep the reminders coming! /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

-Dan

3. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

EXCELENT POST!!!!!!!!!!!!
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    There is a spacer bushing that backs up to the the inner spindle bearings. The Dff used a brass one and the 10 bolts went to plastic. It keeps the spacing correct on the axle shaft into the back side of the spindle. Don't for to check it for problems.