Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Wheel bearing question

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Redfrog, Jun 3, 2001.

1. Redfrog

Redfrog 1/2 ton status

Im replacing my wheel bearings and I can't remember
    if you torque the inner spindle nut. If you are suppost to
    what do you torque it to? Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    if it matters it is on a 10 bolt in a 79'

HEY Fords!!! how many flushes does it
    take to get rid of you

2. TheGeneral

TheGeneral 1/2 ton status

Hey, I think it is like torque to 50 lbs while rotating rotor (spindle), then back it off 90 degrees. Then torque to 35 lbs while rotation, then back off 3/8 degrees. I think this is for your year k5. Earlier ones are just a little different. The torque specs are on the adjusting nut. The lock nut to 80 lbs. I just checked this with the manual, and those are good numbers. LOL (luck not laughs)

If you ain't hurt, you ain't playin' hard enough.

The General<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by TheGeneral on 06/03/01 08:21 AM (server time).</FONT></P>

3. K5RON

K5RON 1/2 ton status

I did mine that way and the 3/8 "backoff" seems to make the bearing have too much play. Could this be a typo? Was it a Haynes manual? 1/8 "backoff" produced what I deemed a more desireable play. Just didn't seem right when I back it off 3/8 turn!

4. solowookie

solowookie 1/2 ton status

my chiltons says torque to 50, back off and then torque to 35... then second spindle nut torques to at least 80

[​IMG] <font color=blue> Jeff </font color=blue> [​IMG]

5. K5RON

K5RON 1/2 ton status

First "torque" seats the bearings and races.....second "torque" preloads the bearings.....I used new bearings and in fact the hub was also new. The only old part associated with the wheel bearings was the spindle. This leads me to believe that the 3/8 "back-off" (On the second torque) is a typo.

Ron

6. Redfrog

Redfrog 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the help. I think I will try the 1/8 turn and see how it works out.

HEY Fords!!! how many flushes does it
    take to get rid of you

7. TheGeneral

TheGeneral 1/2 ton status

K5ron,
    Just a quick lesson for me on preload. I read it all the time. I do it when working on bearings, but just how the %*(does it work in reference to preload. I get it in the diff, but not on reference front wheel bearings. What is it pre loading, the weight of vehcile, wheel, what. Sorry for the dumb question, but it is bothering me and I don't want to be an idiot when talkin this stuff. Thanks and have a laugh at my expense.

If you ain't hurt, you ain't playin' hard enough.

The General