Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Wheel Bearing Repack Question

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BettyBurb, Jul 26, 2003.

1. BettyBurb

BettyBurb Registered Member

I am repacking wheel bearings today. I am wondering should I just wipe all the excess grease out of the hub/rotor assembly and then wipe any grease off the rotors with some rubbing alchohol. Or should I get some engine cleaner or brake cleaner and get all the grease out of the hub/rotor assembly ???

2. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I always use solven and a part cleaner brush. Get ALL of the old dirty grease out. Usually with the hubs I just use a rag to wipe out all the old grease.

3. BettyBurb

"I always use solven and a part cleaner brush. Get ALL of the old dirty grease out." - You mean get all of the grease out the bearings, right ???

"Usually with the hubs I just use a rag to wipe out all the old grease." - You mean the rotor/hub assembly ?

I am getting the grease out of the bearings themselves with a soak in solvent. I just wiped all the grease out of the hub/rotor assembly, and it seems to me that it would be fine.

4. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Yep thats how I do it. Just make sure everything is clean and you'll be ok /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. BettyBurb