Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

wheel bearing replacement

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by creampuff90k5, Jan 13, 2003.

1. creampuff90k5

creampuff90k5 1/2 ton status

Recently, I noticed my front wheel bearings had developed a hideous amount of play, but since the weather here in NJ has been COLD, I was trying to put off replacement for a while, but... Now there's a noticable grinding/vibration, so the time has come.

My question is: What do I need to have on hand in terms of special tools (spanner wrench, axle socket?) and parts? I'd like to do this job in one shot without running back and forth to the parts store!
    Thanks.

2. Confederate9

Confederate9 1/2 ton status

a "wheel lock" removal tool
    its basically a REALLY big socket

3. RockyRider13

RockyRider13 1/2 ton status

yea, it is cake. Just get the bearing axle socket like was mentioned, and a set of snap ring pliers. That is on top of allen wrenches (for the brakes and hub cap).

4. Suffergauge

Suffergauge 1/2 ton status

The socket for the spindle nuts is a must have. It has 4 prongs sticking out of it, and find the one for your application. Snap ring pliers, torque wrench, grease, the rear seal (with the spring in it), and a manual. DO NOT put this off any longer, with the right parts it can be done in an hour. Good luck

5. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

You just mentionned that you started hearing grinding, that means you will have to most likely change the bearings and the races whic will require a little more than just adjusting. Never put off anything like bearings, you could have done it in 30 min per side before or even less if you've done it before. Now it might take you a couple of hours and more $$$$.
    /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

6. creampuff90k5

creampuff90k5 1/2 ton status

Thanks for your input everyone. It looks like the only thing I need to buy or borrow is the special socket.

The grinding noise does suck, but I was planning to replace the races anyhow while everything was apart. I have a drift and a few scraps of wood that I hope will coax them out...

7. 82K5_6.5L

82K5_6.5L 1/2 ton status

yea dont put this off any longer..before i got my blazer, the previous owner let the bearings go bad and the wheel almost fell completly off, there is chucks of ashpalt on back side of the plate that covers the disc brakes. instead of it being round it is now flat. they are really easy to fix, do like everyone says, snap ring pliers and some time... /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

8. will89

will89 1/2 ton status

Anyone know the size on this? (89 half ton 4wd)

9. CooknwithGas

CooknwithGas 1/2 ton status

The races should come out with a long, skinny punch. Just put the punch up against the inside wall of the hub and pound the race evenly all the way around utill it drops out. Make sure the hub is resting on a good solid peice of wood on the floor, or stable work table. That was the one thing on my truck that came apart without a huge ordeal. Replace all the races while you are at it.

Good luck.