Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Wheel bearing washer

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Sparky, May 12, 2001.

1. Sparky

Sparky 1/2 ton status

San Antonio(summer) Texas A and M (school year)
    When i put my front wheel bearings in about 3 months ago I a accidently left out a small part. I just realized this recently. It's a washer looking thing that either went right inside or right outside the bearing retaining nuts.(the ones that require the special tool) The axle is a dana 44, and at the time I switched from full time hubs to some MM lock out (did a part time conversion) hubs. Was this washer someting to do with the old hub setup or is it something that will cause me problems? So far the bearing seem to be working just fine. No problems or anything. (over 10,000 miles since then) If I should put this part back in, which side of the retaining nuts does it go on?

Sparky

When all else fails... Check the blinker fluid.
    78 K-5

2. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

I think you are reffering to the lock washer (a flat washer with a tang on the inside and several small holes around the circumfrance)

If this is it- it is a very imprtant part! If you did not install it. Then the wheel bearing nuts can back off and wheel bearing preload will be lost. (the wheel/hub/disc will stay on the axle due to the brake caliper- lucky for you-) You may have damaged the wheel bearing nut and spindal if the nuts did back off. One of the two large wheel bearing nuts have a nipple on it that fitts into the holes on the washer, and the nipple may have broken off and smashed between the outer wheel bearing nut. So you may want to by a new inner wheel bearing adj. nut (the one with the nipple on it) before you take it apart to reinstall the washer.

Twiztid

3. Sparky

Sparky 1/2 ton status

San Antonio(summer) Texas A and M (school year)
    This is not the part. I know I got that on there. The part is a normal ring with no holes and its got a rim that sticks out on one side.

When all else fails... Check the blinker fluid.
    78 K-5

4. RaisedK5

RaisedK5 1/2 ton status

sounds to me to be the washer that the big spring sat in for the full time drive hubs, the washer went in and rested on the bearing i think , then the big spring, then the gear, its no big deal. leave it out, won't doanything in there now anyway.

RaisedK5

"Friends don't let friends drive Fords"