Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

wheel bearing welded to spindle...any sugestions?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Triaged, Jan 23, 2004.

1. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

My driver's side outter wheel bearing desided to weld itself to the spindle /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

I have a new spindle (if needed) and will buy new bearings but first I need to get this thing off. I might just have to beat on the rotor but then I would have to replace that as well.

Any help on getting this thing off.
    If it matters it is a 2nd design 8-lug D44.

2. y5mgisi

y5mgisi 1 ton status

get a puller. Put the middle on the axel shaft then hook(or chain) the ends to the wheel studs. that might do it? /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

3. cegusman

cegusman 3/4 ton status

Might have to use the blue flammed wrench, and cut the bearing until it comes off.

4. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

Good idea...I think I have one big enough...brb.

5. Nonesuch

Nonesuch 1/2 ton status

This is the method I used when this happened to me. Can you say 'proper bearing pre-load and grease'? /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

6. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

Got it off. Glad I have that HUGE puller. If I wasn't so ready to take the 12ga. to it I might have thought of it /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Thanks for the help /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. Executioner

Executioner 1/2 ton status

Temp. Ft. Walton Beach Fl. home=Tucson, Az.
    What's bearing Pre-Load ?

8. y5mgisi

y5mgisi 1 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif That prety much sums it up /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

9. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh brother. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif Just STFU already. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

10. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh brother. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif Just STFU already. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

That's not a stupid question compared to what is ball joint preload? Or what is pinion bearing preload?

11. thatK30guy

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That's not a stupid question compared to what is ball joint preload? Or what is pinion bearing preload?

[/ QUOTE ]

Tim, do a search on Executioner and ball joint pre-load. You will quickly find out that those two are what drive everyone on this site crazy. That fella was nothing but obsessed with ball joint pre-load so badly, its not funny anymore.

BTW, Executioner goes way back before you joined this site. He rarely posts anymore and still drives some of us nuts with those dumb pre-load comments.

12. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Tim, do a search on Executioner and ball joint pre-load. You will quickly find out that those two are what drive everyone on this site crazy. That fella was nothing but obsessed with ball joint pre-load so badly, its not funny anymore.

BTW, Executioner goes way back before you joined this site. He rarely posts anymore and still drives some of us nuts with those dumb pre-load comments.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe he pre-loaded his head too much when he inserted it into his a** /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

13. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Preload...what the hell is that /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

I still think it is funny...
    I never had a problem with Executioner's "know and understand ball-joint preload" posts. I think they did alot of good for people that would think you can just slap new ball joints in without adjusting it.

On the preload thing I never went along with the factory spec on adjusting the wheel bearings. I think it leaves them way too loose. I alwasy crank on it while spinning the wheel, loosen the nut, and tighten it as much as I can by hand (using the spindle nut socket).

And just for all you that were wondering the bearing wasn't doing so hot when I got the truck and I don't think it liked all the water in the hub /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif from this summer and last winter, and the summer before that.... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Executioner,
    Nice to see you are still lurking around.

14. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Besides the search feature being disabled, it might be funny to do such a search.

However, I remember the posts as it was not before I came here. It might be before I registered as a user but I clearly remember you going off on him about ball joint preload, that's why I mentioned it. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

I might be an ass, but at least I'm not a dumbass. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

15. thatK30guy

I keep forgetting the search feature is down. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

How about going to Exe. profile and click on all his posts and go back and read some of them. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif I'm gonna bet 90% of his replies have ball joint pre-load in them. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

16. Executioner

Executioner 1/2 ton status

Temp. Ft. Walton Beach Fl. home=Tucson, Az.
    Yup, thats what I meant !
    I have seen the spec. anywhere from 414 in/oz. to
    45 lbs/ft.
    Looks like their is a lot of room for opinions.

Now if I could only see them with my procto/scope !!!!!!!!

17. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    I keep forgetting the search feature is down. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

How about going to Exe. profile and click on all his posts and go back and read some of them. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif I'm gonna bet 90% of his replies have ball joint pre-load in them. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I remember reading the posts when they were new. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif