Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Wheel bearing

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by snowtoy, Oct 11, 2002.

1. snowtoy

snowtoy Registered Member

I have to change my wheelbearing on my 10 bolt rear, what must I do to get my axlesshaft out??? /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

2. 79Beast

79Beast 1/2 ton status

Pull the diff cover, loosen the set screw on the differential cross pin, slide out the pin. With the tire/wheel/drum off, press in on the axleshaft and then remove the C clip on the end of the shaft. Slide it out.

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Wheelbearings eat into the axle too, make sure the bearing is a problem before you rip it out, and if the axle is worn, its a better bet to go with a repair bearing than a standard bearing.

4. snowtoy

well so I open my rear axle just to find out that right axleshaft must be changed, It's been used offset bearings there before.
    AND !!! My open diff is bad very bad. so I have to change it to (put in a locker) or change to a other rear axle. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

5. dyeager535

For the cost of another bearing, locker, and axle, (plus your time! Setting up the new carrier, tear down, cleanup, etc) you can be into another complete axle assembly (front and rear probably) in either a 10/12 bolt or 14 bolt combo.

Add up what the "fix" will cost you, (lessee...rebuild kit: bearings, seals, races, shims for rear axle about $100, locker...$200? New axle $150, etc) and if you need beefier stuff, compare that with what you can get another pair of axles for.

6. snowtoy

Hi! I just bought me a sparepart truck so now I will change axles, to bad it's 10 bolt on this one also, but all parts in it is new .

7. dyeager535

Swapping axle assemblies in your case is going to be easier than replacing the wheel bearing. : )

Did you get the same gear ratio?