Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Wheel Bearings gone bad!!! Real BAD......AHHH

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by **DONOTDELETE**, Apr 8, 2002.

Well those of you that read my post on how my wheel bearings were loose know that I was looking for info on how to tighten etc. Well I call Steven @ ORD to ask him a few questions, and I was talking to him about the wheel bearing and he said while your in there might as well replace them, so with his advice I went out and got all new bearings, seals, races, etc. Well I am tearing it apart to find that the left side hub/rotor were VERY loose. So I get in the hub to figure out that the out side lock nut had come off!! I get it all apart and then upon inspecting the spindle and the outer lock nut the last 1/2 of threads on the spindle are stripped compleatly off. The inside of the outer lock nut and the end of the spindle are stripped smooth. So then I took apart the right side to look in there and everything was in very good shape but I noticed that the nuts on the right side were different then the nuts on the left side. Well after looking at everything I figure out that the shop that put my lift on (before I knew anything about trucks) when they replaced the wheel bearings in the front end they used different nuts on the left side. These were not the correct nuts and they did not have the pin on the inner one that went into the washer, they were compleatly the wrong nuts. So now that I have a stripped spindle, which means I need a new steering knuckle (can you still buy those???) I am at a loss on what to do. The shop that did the work warrenty's all their work for a year and this was only done about 10 months ago. So tomarrow I am going over there and they ARE GOING TO FIX IT. I am so pissed off right now that those guys are gonna fix it or there is going to be a whole lotta trouble. I know that you guys know that feeling of when your baby is up on jack stands and you cant do anything about it. Sorry for the huge post but I just needed to vent after being out side in the cold for 4 hours. AHHHHHH

1. Blazinaire

Blazinaire 1/2 ton status

Can't you replace just the spindle, not the whole knuckle?

2. POWERMAD

POWERMAD 1/2 ton status

Yep just will have to replace the spindle.

3. How do you replace just the spindle? It looks like it's all one piece? Can somebody explain? Thanks so much

4. Overkill

Overkill 1/2 ton status

5. POWERMAD

POWERMAD 1/2 ton status

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/8lugconversion.shtml>pics</a>

6. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

I have some spindles for you. Very good condition, too. $50 for a pair of them gets them shipped to your door.