Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Wheel Bearings on a 14 Bolt...

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Waxer, Jun 3, 2000.

1. Waxer

Waxer 1/2 ton status Author

I am about to repack the wheel bearings on my 14 bolt, but after reading the Haynes manual, it says I need another special locknut socket for the task. Anyone know which one they are talking about? Do I really need another specialty tool? thanks in advance. [​IMG]

2. ken

ken 1/2 ton status

No, you do not need the specialty socket. You can use a punch to remove the nuts, notice I didn't say chisel, cause chisels screw up the spindle nuts!! And, why are you repacking the bearings? They do not need grease, as they are lubricated by the diff oil.

ken

3. BIGJ

BIGJ 1/2 ton status Author

Yeah you need a special socket. Luckily my friend had one already so I didn't have to buy one. He got his from snap-on, and he said that there were a few different ones, so know what year your axle is. The socket was 3/4 drive and about $70.00. You might try napa for the socket also.

BIGJ

4. titanic

titanic 1/2 ton status

Ken's right!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

6. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Oh yeah, the punch will work for getting them off, but you can't torque the nuts back down properly using a punch. The manual says to torque the nut to 50 lb/ft, while rotating the hub. Then back off a quarter turn and torque to 35 lb/ft and lock the nut in place. You can get "close enough" if you have to use a punch in an emergency, but using the right tool makes the job much easier! [​IMG]

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    <font color=blue>http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com</font color=blue>

7. BIGJ

BIGJ 1/2 ton status Author

I agree. Having the right tool is the best way to go. The original owner of my axle had used a punch to remove the hubs. The slots or keys in the nuts were so rounded from the punch that I couldn't remove them with the right tool. I had to use a punch after all. I had to get new nuts and lock rings. It just makes sense do it right and save parts in the long run. Just my .02.

BIGJ

8. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

bought tool from napa, 38.00

your right. I don't understand the jeep thing!

9. dumbfounded

dumbfounded 1/2 ton status

I agree with Ken. If it ain't broke dont try to break it. Changing diff lube will be just like repacking bearings. If you want you can send me your axle I'll "repack" the bearings and send it back in a few years. Mean while you can borrow my 12 bolt......

Wasn't me.............