Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Wheel Bearings

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BlazerGuy, Jul 4, 2000.

1. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

How do you get the front rotors off a 10 bolt? I need to repack the bearings, but I've never done it on a 4WD vehicle before. Thanks for the advice.

YEEEEE HAWWWWW[​IMG]

2. Waxer

Waxer 1/2 ton status Author

Ok, first step is to put the front end up on jackstands. Pull the tires off. Remove the locking hub. There will be 2 lock rings, one outer and one inner. Remove those and pull out internals. You will then see the first locknut. For this you will need a special locknut hub socket. After that first nut is removed, you will have a lock washer, then the last locknut. After all thats removed you will be able to pull the rotor/hub assembly off. From there you can repack the bearings. Check them for wear, discoloration, etc.... When I pulled my passenger side off, the inner bearing fell apart. So I just replaced all the bearings and seals with new ones from Autozone. Timken is the brand to get. Repack them with fresh grease. If you know how to do so, tap out the old bearing races and carefully tap in the new ones provided with the bearings. Depending on the year of your Rig, there is a particular type of torquing sequence to reseat the bearings properly. Now if you dont even have the hub socket for this, I'd suggest picking up the haynes manual so you can get the proper torque directions as well as the hub socket. Hope this helps

3. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

10 bolt? if its like a reg front axle, Waxer hit the nail on the head. I went to my corner ACE hardware store and bought a dental pick, they call a candle shaper. It makes it a snap to remove the rings. They're a bear otherwise. I found that to remove the inner seal after the outer bearing is off I put the spindle nut back on and yanked really hard. good luck

creepin' and crawlin'

Jim

4. rocko

rocko 1/2 ton status

You need a special tool that removes the weird nut inside the hubs.. I have one if you want to touch bases and not spend the riduculous amount I paid for this socket.