Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Wheel bearings

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by newyorkin, May 25, 2002.

1. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Does anyone know if it's required to change the inner or outer race when changing front wheel bearings? That looks like a heckuva lot more work than I want to get into this late in the day, especially if I have to take it some where to get them pressed in and out... If I could get away with just new bearings and the old raaces, that'd be much better. The bearings I'm replacing aren't really scored or damaged, just worn down. I didn't look at the races when I had it apart last time...

2. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

I just check to see if the races are in good condition.

3. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

If they are visibly in good cond., is it ok to leave them alone? A guy at a parts place told me the inner race had to be changed according to his book. I've almost never changed a race when I've done a wheel bearing...

4. BowtieBlazer

BowtieBlazer 1/2 ton status

I don't change races either unless they are scared or otherwise in bad condition

5. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

check if they're messed up, mudbogAD and i did mine today and they were pitted and scarred so we replaced them, not nearly as hard as i was expecting./forums/images/icons/shocked.gif/forums/images/icons/smile.gif remember to buy new seals too.

6. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

they are punched out usually
    I have a snapon punch with a football shaped head for that job
    most backyarders use a large screwdriver
    to install new ones you can use the old one as a sacrificial piece to hammer on held over the new
    or
    get an actual seal and race driver set and it is real easy

basically no special tools required but they do make the job a Snap

7. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

I HATE beating those races out, If they are not scored, don't mess with 'em. (no PITTING, SCRATCHES, or smuges ect.)

By the book, Bearings and races are a matched set and should be replaced as a set. BUT, messing with something that isn't bad to begin with, is trouble (makeing sure the races are fully seated, removeing rust as needed to seat, ect).

If I recall correctly, you (Newyorker) had a impact-failure? (tree-stump thing) If thats the caes, look very close at the races, look for roller-impact indentaions. Also, check it with your finger, you might be able to feel imperfections, that are not visable.
    Again, they are a matched set, but I have found it difficult to remove and reinstall races correctly in front hubs and would think twice about removeing "good" races.

8. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

Bah, Replace the things. It's worth the peice of mind. Using a small ball peen hammer and a 10" brass punch I can get the races out and the new ones in 10-15 minutes. The most important thing is to be absolutley certain that you get the new races seated completely. I have always replaced the races with the bearings. Even when I had to do one on the side of the higway in Kansas when it was like 5 million degrees out. /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif

9. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

those could be the origonal races if Twistid was to PO.
    I would change em, it is not hard at all.
    14 year old races that had bad bearings spinning on them = replace

10. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

I'll add my vote to replace them as well. You've already got the info on how to do it so, I'll leave it at that...

11. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Twiz, you're right, I nailed a stump and went wobbly.

I haven't done anything with it yet, I swapped the wheels around to get a matched pair on the front hoping to correct the steering (which it didn't, there must be damage I can't see there).

The bearing has been fine since I repacked it, but it was a tiny bit noisy when I was moving wheels around. I guess I'll change the race when I do the bearing, since y'all mostly say it's no biggie...

Thanks for the replies all!

12. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

Those other guys are probably right, I'm jst a little gun-shy of 'em now, I guess.

The first set I did, grabbed me by the short-and-curlys and swung-me around.
    The seccond set wasn't much better...