Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Wheel fell off

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by tom, Feb 26, 2001.

1. tom

tom 1/2 ton status

My buddy lost a wheel off his '99 Yukon on the freeway. He had aluminum 15" wheels replacing the 16" stock wheels. Turns out the aluminum wheel is not hub centering, but the stock wheel was. I looked at my '91 and '77 blazers and both have non-hub centering after market wheels. Aslo looked at the stock wheels on a '67 and an '86 and they are hub centering.
    Is it safe to go with non hub centering wheels and let all the load bear on the lug nuts? What's the safe way to go here. My friend was not hurt this time, but doesn't want to lose another one. Any recommendations?

2. AGM73k5

AGM73k5 1/2 ton status

Same thing happened to me with an aluminum wheel, just keep an eye on the lug holes and make sure they're all round. If ones out of round you run the risk of sheering the nuts off and losing the wheel again.

___ __ _ _ ____ __
    AGM73k5 -- ajgm1@yahoo.com

3. Blaze

Blaze 1/2 ton status

This doesn't really have much to do with your question, but the other day I was driving on I-40 at about 75 mph and a brand new BMW that way about 4 cars in front of me lost a tire. I don't mean the rim and tire came off, but the whole tire popped the bead and started bouncing down the road. I have never seen anything like it.

[​IMG]<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www4.ncsu.edu/~brschoch>http://www4.ncsu.edu/~brschoch</A>
    My truck beat up your SUV

4. walt88

walt88 1/2 ton status

I had an 86 caprice, and i bought brand new outlaw II's for it. The only thing was they gave me the wrong size lug nuts. I was driving down the parkway and the studs got sheered off. What a mess. I ground the brake drum to a mirror shine.

<font color=red>1988 Chevrolet K5 Blazer, Middletown, NJ (07737).</font color=red> wkeil@home.com

5. Goose

Goose 1/2 ton status

What I've been told is that the aftermarket rims typically don't have the rim go clear to the hub and even some factory rims are like that and that it really doesn't matter. Personally, I would rather the rim contacs the hub in the center, but it doesn't really matter according to other members on this board.

[​IMG]

6. BigMan

BigMan Registered Member

Unlike steel rims it is esential that aluminum wheels be properly torqed down. And they should be retorqed at least once a few days after putting them on. I like to retorqe them twice. They tell you to do this when they install them but few do it.