Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Wheel gonna fall off....

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by naveycantwo, Nov 27, 2003.

1. naveycantwo

naveycantwo Newbie

My suspension needs some work, I know this... But to be sure of what I need to do to get this fixed. What would need replaced if at starting off your tire starts shaking like a wobble, there is a crap load of play in the steering wheel, and I think it has somthing to due with the pitman arm maybe? /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

2. clubba68

clubba68 1/2 ton status

Have you checked the torque on your nutz?
    Also jack up your truck so that the tire is off the ground and try shaking it back and forth toward the center of the truck with your hands. If it has a lot of play your ball joints are probably shot.
    -Andrew /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

3. 88jimmy4x4

88jimmy4x4 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

If it has a lot of play your ball joints are probably shot.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree

4. TruckNutzDude

TruckNutzDude 1/2 ton status

Check the ball joints first, if they're ok then see if it's your wheel bearings. I drove around with a buddy who's wheel bearings were so toasted when we went to replace them, the only thing holding the wheel on was the brake caliper /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif I don't ride in his truck anymore. The lack of maintenance scares the poop out of me /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

5. K5Jimmy

K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

I agree with all of the above Plus....Check for play in the tie rod ends....easier than ball joints, also more common...it's a $100 fix (using generic parts)...thinkin' if the front end is that shot, bad wheel bearing are practically a gimme...if you end up rebuilding, MOOG is the way to go...little spendier, but worth it in the long run..,
    other causes of slop/play in the wheel could be worn steering gearbox (somewhat adjustable), idler arm, rag joint shot....

6. clubba68

clubba68 1/2 ton status

Yeah, you can also tighten the steering a little at the steering box as said above by adjusting the screw on the top of it. If yours is anything like mine was (covered in filth) it takes a little cleaning to get down to the point where you can see the screw, but it is there. If I remember correctly all you need is an allen wrench.