Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

wheel hop when climbing

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by delta9blazer, Sep 6, 2001.

1. delta9blazer

delta9blazer 1/2 ton status

climbing a hill last weekend, and as i neared the top, it was getting fairly rutted. i didn't want to blast over, so i was keeping a deliberate, steady throttle.
    for whatever reason, my truck started bouncing like mad, so i let off, and i ended up stopping, just shy of the crest. i fed more gas, and the tires spun for a second, then things got violent again. i had to put it in nuetral, and roll back a few feet while turning, twice, in order to make the hill.
    i may have been able to floor it, and power my way out, but i didn't want to subject my drivetrain to that kind of abuse on a guess.
    is it pretty close to the wheel hop on street drag-racers? and if it is, what do i use as a ladder bar?

thanks!

<font color=purple>delta9blazer</font color=purple>

2. SCOOBYDANNN

SCOOBYDANNN 1/2 ton status

i get that too, but I have no shocks and no bed.

You know who I am

3. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

I saw you hopping. I think it is a combination of losing tracktion and spring pack release.
    What I mean is when you have a load on your drive train your spring packs kinda twist into an S shape and then when you loose traction that load relases and then the hopping starts. The best thing to do is exactly what you did, if you were to hammer down while trail hopping I would expect a Ujoint to POP.
    So to fix or minimize you can get rid of the rear lift blocks in favor of spring packs, change your gear ratio for more control. Traction bars and such will decrease you off-road ability so wouldn't go that route.
    I use to hop like that too when I had my 12bolt rear w/4"blocks....
    I can't remember the last time it happend too me so I think I'm cured.
    Good luck

72K5[​IMG]Led Zeppelin[​IMG]Rock ON![​IMG]
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/baja/5099>www.geocities.com/baja/5099</a>

4. delta9blazer

delta9blazer 1/2 ton status

i meant to look to see if anybody out there had a shackle-flip installed, i want to go that route. would that help this situation, or would that induce more hop?

<font color=purple>delta9blazer</font color=purple>

5. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Hmm duno, the thing that reduces hop with new spring packs is that lifted packs are a heck of alot harder to get into that S shape that your tired stock springs. You may want to consider new packs with your flip but I am just guessing so.........
    Like the blocks you still have stock packs and I think thoes stockers are the cause...
    my .02c

72K5[​IMG]Led Zeppelin[​IMG]Rock ON![​IMG]
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/baja/5099>www.geocities.com/baja/5099</a>

6. white_knight

white_knight 1/2 ton status

Burt4x4 has a good answer.
    If you would have throttled through you would have definately broken a u-joint or more.
    When that happens lay off the throttle. Slow momemtum might get you through.

A stiff suspension is one cause

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.whiteknight.scriptmania.com/>http://www.whiteknight.scriptma
    nia.com
    </a>

7. pcorssmit

pcorssmit 1/2 ton status

Just doing the shackle flip and getting rid of the blocks, with the stock springs, should greatly reduce the wheel hop. Blocks place a ton of leverage on the spring, increading the axle wrap.

Pete

'83 K5, 350 TBI (ex 6.2), 700R4, NP208, Dana 60/14 bolt, 4.56s, Detroits, 3" lift, 15-39.5x15 TSLs
    '97 Dodge 2500 4x4 CC LB Sport, Cummins 5 spd