Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Wheel hopping on a D60 w/38.5's

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Storm Trooper, Sep 1, 2002.

1. Storm Trooper

Storm Trooper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Dillon Colorado, Hang'in in the mountains. Renting
    Wheel hopping on a D60 w/38.5\'s

Since I did my one ton conversion I have had a bad wheel hop in the front drivers side of the truck. I have beadlocks so I figured that one of the tires was just off really bad. I switched tires all around and have changed air pressure which helped but it still won't go away. It seems the worst at about 55mph. I'm not familier with kingpin set ups but could they be causing this? I don't get the death wobble but the shake sucks. Why just that wheel if it was the tires or beadlocks? Is there a good way to test the kingpins?
    I have 38.5x15.5x16.5 TSL
    Trail Ready beadlocks
    Crappy Rancho 9000
    Tough Country easyride front springs
    New but now worn out ORD bushings & grease bolts.
    Sway bar disconnects but almost always disconnected.
    No cross over, just a rock rod.
    Any Ideas?????????????? /forums/images/icons/confused.gif

2. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Re: Wheel hopping on a D60 w/38.5\'s

So the "shake" is still on the driver's front? I can't imagine how it would have anything to do with the king pins. Not sure what to suggest...

3. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

The only thing that comes to mind is an out of adjustment or otherwise damaged wheel bearing...

Rene

4. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Hmmm, a few more thoughts. It's really a stretch but, maybe a weak/blown shock? That might let a slightly out of round/balance tire build up an exaggerated vibration at certain speeds due to harmonics. Like I said, a stretch... I was also thinking maybe a warped rotor but that would give you pulsing brakes... Hmmm....

5. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

Shot in the dark, but maybe the kning pin is bad, allowing the tire to hop.

Jack up that side of the truck and grab the tire at the top and bottom, give it a good hard push/pull (hard enough to over-come the weight of the wheel). Ball-joint specs are commonly around 1/4" (!!!!!) lateral movement at the steering knuckle. (personly, if it has any-play at all, I'd call it bad). I'm not sure if the specs for kin-pins are any different, I don't see meny of those much any-more but I would think the same rules would applie.
    Also, make sure what you are "feeling" is the ball-joint play and not loose wheel-bearings. Wheel bearings play is alot lighter. Ball-joint play requires far-more effort to get them to move, they allso feel like they are all-ways under tension (which they are).
    Another check is vertical movement. Again, it's about 1/4" (or 1/8" ???, I'd call 'em bad if they have any-play at all). Use a long handled breaker bar under the tire and pry the tire up, check for any vertical movement at the joint.

Both checks are really a two-man job, one to watch while the other wiggles.

Thats my thoughts, I think I'd check the Wheel-bearings and Ball-joints first.

6. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Check the king pin springs under the caps. They have been known to "settle" and will be shorter than a brand new spring. They can "settle" to as low as 1/4" shorter than a brand new spring, which will be stronger and get the alignment back to spec. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

7. Storm Trooper

Storm Trooper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Dillon Colorado, Hang'in in the mountains. Renting

Thanks guys, I'll do somemore checking but I forgot to tell you that the wheel bearings where new when converted before easter. Ball joints/king pins all seemed good so that is why I thought of the king pin springs. I might also pull the shock for grins.
    Guess I just don't get the full concept of king pins compaired to ball joints. /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif