Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Wheel locks ya or nay

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by sandawgk5, Aug 8, 2005.

?

Wheel locks yes or no

1. Yes

12 vote(s)
    34.3%
  2. No

18 vote(s)
    51.4%
  3. I'm Nekkid

5 vote(s)
    14.3%
  1. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

I am not going to be running any kinda bling just Black steel wheels but at $170-$300 a tire I am thinking of using wheel locks who here uses them and who does not. I have always been taught if they want them they are gonna get them.

Thanks

Ira

2. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

I run em, yeh if they want em, they will get em, but the harder you make it, the more likely they will pick someone else.

3. Iron_Weasel

Iron_Weasel Registered Member

I agree with what K20 said.
    However, wheel locks still don't pose much of a problem for thoe who have the proper equipment to remove them. I have 4 different sockets for the sole purpose of removing wheel locks when the key is missing or otherwise not available.
    Granted, most thieves don't carry a full set of flute cut lug nut sockets around with them all the time, but if they already have your rig scoped out and really want those wheels..they'll come back with the right tools.
    All in all though...every little bit you can do to deter theft helps.

4. txfiremank5

txfiremank5 1/2 ton status

I'll use em when I get the new tires etc, when the build is to that point. I had the Gorilla lugs on my old K5.

It works a little better for me because my K5 is never anywhere that someone can "scope it out" for long. I live out in the country, back in the trees away from passing strangers.... and no one would get back to my house without either us, or a extended family member knowing they were here... so it's not like they can see what they need and come back another night. When I'm at my station, it's a secured parking area.

So, I only have to worry about being parked while shopping and the like.. so locking lugs are a pretty good option for me.

Like everyone said.. the harder that you make it for them to steal.. the better off you will be. They don't want to work for the wheels.. they're lazy , otherwise they would get a freaking job and stop stealing from us working stiffs.. they're oportunitists .. and are looking for an easy oportunity to get something for nothing. Making them work, means they will likely just move on to an easier target.

5. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

I have used them on cars in the past (Acura Integra) that were prone to be stolen, but don't have them on my Burb.

The only downside is that the SOB's will break your window to get the "key". Of course, you can't prepare for everything and for te money, they are not a bad investment.

6. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

there is a ten dollar socket out there that anyone can buy (i think jc whitney sell em) that grabs onto the outside of the lock, anyone whos looking/planning to steal wheels has one, so if they want it there going to get it anyways. But then again some guys wont have em, but if your trucks got 38's there gonna need something big (jack wise) to even try in the first place. I love the way my lug nuts are though, you need a 4ft bar to get em off :D :doah:

7. resurrected_jimmy

resurrected_jimmy 1/2 ton status

where I live nobody's gonna bother to pull 8 lug wheels off......not to mention nobody wants my white spoke 16.5's self correcting problem, they'll just steal the 22's off the neighbors 2wd tahoe :haha:

8. steve_kibbe

steve_kibbe 1/2 ton status

park in your garage :D

9. BIGCHEVY4X

BIGCHEVY4X Registered Member

:haha:

10. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

They will get them one way or another!!..

The locking lugs do slow theives down a bit,but it does not stop them...

I've heard of theives using freon to freeze the nut and stud,so it can be snapped off with a 4 way lug wrench by lifting up on them(though we tried it at my friends shop to get locking lugs off when the key was lost for a customer,and had no luck doing it that way)...

One unlucky guy had his tires and rims stolen off his K5,despite having locking lugs...they pulled the hubs off the front end,removed the spindle nuts,and removed the calipers,took his rotors too--and in the rear,they removed the diff cover,and pulled the lock screw out of the spider gear pin,and took his axles along with the tires,rims,and drums!..all within a 2 hour period!--and nobody heard any noises!.. :screwy: :eek: he found it sitting on cinder blocks when he went to go to work the next morning.. :doah: :crazy:

11. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I hate locking lug nuts and won't use them. Without the key you are screwed, and even with it sometimes it strips out or the key gets stuck to the nut. I haven't had one set of them come off nicely for me.

12. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

if i want your rims and tires i will have them or just take the whole ride and take my time at home to remove them. i hate them:mad: oh ya i work auto shop. that might be why i hate them.:p:

13. txfiremank5

txfiremank5 1/2 ton status

Hey sled-dog, ya gotta stop using those cheapos.. :wink1:

Actually I never had any problems with the gorilla lugs like that. I know a lot of the cheaper locks have a key thingy, but the gorillas have a pretty nice socket. If memory serves me, I think it's an impact grade socket to boot. But yes, the gorillas are a little more pricey too.

But, like eveyone says.. if someone wants them bad enough, they're going to get them. But buying some time might make a difference. I myself will try to make it as hard as possible to get ... at least make the bastards work for em.

14. xtrmjoe

xtrmjoe 1/2 ton status

I have a uncle that lives in fresno ca one of the worst cities for auto theft. He actually has 6 different types/brands of locking lugs, a different one for each lug on each tire. I would hate to be the guy who rotates his tires. But its been 5 years and no issues, when with just regular ones about every year his tires would get jacked. He has 3 different kill switches all weird triggers with relays. The coolest is when the ciggarette lighter is pushed in cuts fuel, and his has a little panel that slides over it and the ash tray so its out of sight. His map light on the drivers side cuts the spark, has to be switched on to start rig then you turn off and all runs fine. And a plain old toggle (on-off-on for more confusion)for ign kill but he never uses this one just a distraction . The other two let the eng turn over but not start so they get confused. It has been broken into 4 times in last 2 years but not stolen yet just looted, with what little he actually keeps in it like smokes and change.

15. OffRoad

OffRoad 1/2 ton status

if you need wheel locks it's time to move.

you guys in the states can carry guns. start doing that.

poor blood on your truck, then no one will want to mess with it. make it look "super-redneck". theives don't mess with redneck trucks.

16. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

Thanks guys and gals I have decided not to run them. I have not had a problem before the only time I had anything stolen it was my fault for leaving my cell phone in the car to charge and a crackhead broke my window and took it. Like was said crooks are mainly lazy and will not take the time to teardown and axle or take 32 lugs off to get a set of steel wheels with MTRs.

Thanks for the input..

Ira

17. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

I had two different sets and somehow the keys to the two were interchangable, which makes me think anybody can go to Autozone, buy a set, steal my wheels/tires and then return the set for a full refund. I also found that after a dozen installation/removal cycles, they were stripped out so that I had to pound a socket over them to get them off. That would be real fun on the trail or the side of the road. :mad:

I will now try some of these: Gorilla locks on Summit.

It looks like they would be more durable. It seems especially important now that I run an external spare tire. That's just too easy, you don't even need a jack. :doah:

18. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I've heard good things about the Gorilla ones from people who worked at tire shops.

19. SUPER'BURB

SUPER'BURB 1/2 ton status

I say it depends on where you are. My rig is parked in the middle of noplace at night for now so......no locks.

But I will be movin closer to town soon :doah: and I'm not taking a chance, Rock crawlers are pretty cheap but 36"x 14.5" PJ's are expensive while the locks are not.

20. fireplug

fireplug 1/2 ton status

My buddy's 92 one ton was just stolen. It was a solid work truck, 4x4, power tailgate, good plow on front and tools in the back. He got it back and all they took from the truck was the nearly bald, flat spotted, I got all four of them two years ago for $200 bucks 33" Cooper STT's on crappy steel 16.5" rims! What a bunch of idiots! Thanks for saving us the disposal fees.