Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Wheel Offset and Tire Fitment

Discussion in 'OffRoad Design' started by morphed86k10, May 21, 2002.

1. morphed86k10

morphed86k10 1/2 ton status

I'll be getting new wheels soon and would like some input on choosing backspacing. Not what I need with 15's so they'll fit on a D60 type of stuff, but more like are there any drawbacks to having a wheel with only 3" of backspacing? I've heard the term scrub radius used, and I could use some education on that. Does the farther travel path cause tires to hit wheel wells when something like a 4" wouldn't?
    I'd like to run 35-36 inch tires on a 10 rim, with anywhere from 12.5 to a slightly wider (14.5 or so) tire. With a 4 inch lift (TC HD's up front). BFG's fit no problem, but getting a tire like a 14.5 inch swamper to fit there might require some trimming.

2. 79Beast

79Beast 1/2 ton status

When you go to either a wider tire or more offset wheel, you will be more likely to rub the outside of the fender. With less offset or a skinnier tire, you can tuck it inside the fender opening. If you are going to run a tire in the 36x14.5 size, you will, in my opinion, have to cut some fender regardless of which wheel you use. 4" is not enough to clear wide 36's with no cutting. I ran 36x12.5 TSL/SX's on stock 15x7 wheels with no lift and minor trimming. They tucked into the fenders and only rubbed the inside of the fenderwells in the rear. I would reccomend buying 4" backspaced wheels instead of 3". You will still have 1" of offset on a 10" wide wheel.

3. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

Really the only drawback to the 3" backspace is the tire fitment to the body (usually not a big problem). The scrub raduis thing is an issue but usually not as big as grinding the heck out of the caliper to fit a narrower wheel. Basically the farther out the wheel is, the harder it will be to turn is most cases since it travels a large arc instead of pivoting around the kingpin axis. The wider wheel is harder on bearings but that's generally not a huge concern on a recreation vehicle (low miles overall) and with a D60 you have some extra beef to help out with that.

Overall width of the truck is a concern too, with a 10" wheel and 3" backspace, you'll end up somewhere around 90" wide overall which you may or may not like. That's one big reason I went with 16.5's, with 5" backspacing and a 10" wheel I'm about 86" at the outside of the sidewalls.