Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

wheel shimmy

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Jonny-K5, Aug 4, 2004.

1. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

i've been trying to figure this out for awhile, it seems to be getting a little worse. it happens when im braking and one wheel hits something, like a pothole or bump in the road. it also happens when i drive over R/R tracks, but only when the brakes are applied. usually around 30-40 mph.

i just came back from camping in the mountains and the wheel would really wobble when going downhill and slowing down for switchbacks.

i've stuck my head out when it happening and the front wheel is shaking pretty bad.

wheel bearings are tight, balljoints look good, as do tie rod ends and drag link. what could be causing this? oh ya there is a pretty big dent in the steering stabilizer, coild that do it? i thought maybe rotors are warped but my friend said that would be more in the brake pedal.

BTW i checked the tie rods by shaking it, and i checked ball joints and bearings by wiggling the wheel while a friend looks for play. is there a better method?

2. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

anyone? any ideas would help, im kinda stumped.

3. ugly_blazer

ugly_blazer 1/2 ton status

The rotors on my daily driver have over 180,000 miles on them and have never been turned. They have never been turned and are warped VERY bad. I can't feel anything at all in the pedal, just the steering wheel and the whole truck shakes some.

To check the bearings I jack the truck up and grab the tire at the top and bottom and push/pull in/out. To check the draglink and tie rod I have someone turn the steering wheel (with the truck on the ground) and watch for loose parts.

4. eightyone

eightyone 1/2 ton status

i would say check to see if your wheel is balanced /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

5. K5Jimmy

K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Jack the front end up, and use a pry bar under the tire to lift it while looking at the ball joints...

have some one move the steering wheel back and forth while watching the tie rod ends....

Idler arm is another potential culprit...

my vote goes to a bad tie rod ...easy fix...