Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Wheel Size : 16.5 or 17 ?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by grimjaw, Jan 30, 2007.

1. grimjaw

grimjaw 1/2 ton status

I am debating what wheel size to go with on my M1028. My first thought is H1 beadlocks re-centered. The problem is tire selection is poor in 37" tires for 16.5 rims. For 17 inch rims there are about twice as many tires as 16.5. There are no cheap beadlocks for 17s but staun internal and custom beadlocks are possible. Now the two tires I like most atm are both available in 16.5 and 17 with about $2 difference. I am mostly concerned about future tire selection getting worse. What are your thoughts?

2. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

16.5" wheels and tires are definitely falling from favor, but as long as the military is still using the HMMWV, there will always be SOMEthing out there.

As far as bead-locking a 17" wheel, you can always do the weld-ons.
    http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=499468

3. txfiremank5

txfiremank5 1/2 ton status

I think there will always be a fair selection on 16.5's, but like you say, the market is no doubt going to favor the 17" range more.

4. Chaddy

Chaddy 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

17's are the way to go. They have a bigger tire selection and the beads are way better.

5. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

If he goes with H1 wheels, the bead is a non-issue. That's why I didn't bring it up. :D

6. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

He was gonna run recentered H1s. Given those 2 choices I think it would be cheaper to go with H1s, Having said that I think Super Swamper will always make a 16.5 in some variety and IIRC their 38 or 38.5 are closer to 37. If you are not a swamper guy then 17s is prolly your only other option as you said manufacturers are getting away from the 16.5. The big 3 are only 16s and 17s on their factory vehicles except F*rd they have 19.5s on the 450 and 550:bow:.

Ira

7. Chaddy

Chaddy 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Ahhhh, Im not too familiar with the hummer wheels.:o

8. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

Two piece bolt together steel wheel with internal double beadlock.

Ira

9. blazinzuk

blazinzuk Buzzbox voodoo Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I have 17" rims and I believe the tire selection will just get bigger while the 16.5 market is slipping. Although it seems to me that 20s almost have a bigger selection than my 17s. Kind of depends on what tire you want. Interco still has alot of 16.5s

10. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

aka best rim ever?:haha:

im going to run h1's and cant wait to get them:D

11. camok5

camok5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I know he didnt say he wanted 16'' rims but what wrong with them? Just as many options as the 17'' but a little cheaper.

12. txfiremank5

txfiremank5 1/2 ton status

I was seriously thinking of going with a 17" due to the tire option, and what I thought it might be later on. But I was really wanting to give the H1's a try so I went that route. I'll probably run them a while, and if I ever feel like it's time to move up then I will. Maybe I'll even turn full pimp and get some pricey off the shelf beadlocks. :pimp:

But for now, I'll be running H1's and will hope that there is always at least a respectable selection to choose from. I think the tire makers know there is still a market for them, so I think we'll be ok.