Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Wheel size for a newb

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by dbozman, Jan 15, 2007.

1. dbozman

dbozman 1/2 ton status

New '74 K5, D44 and 12-bolt stock. Will be running 35 MT/Rs and need new 6-lug wheels. The truck had 33 on chrome steelies, which I've since sold. Based on the appearance of the tires on the wheels, I took them for 15x10 wheels.

Are most people running 8 or 10-inch rims?

The wheels had 3 5/8 inches of backspacing, which seemed very tight in the front. I was looking to get the tires moved out a bit to better fill the wheelwells (ie. a 3-inch BS or so).

Problem is you can't get that BS unless you go custom, which I don't want to do.

Thoughts?

What wheel size are you guys choosing that offer plenty of steering clearance, but fills the wheelwells nicely to the outside. Any resources to buy these wheels?

Here's a photo of the former wheel to illustrate. Remember, I'll be replacing the 33s shown with 35s.

Thanks.

[​IMG]

2. filo

filo Registered Member

Have you tried searching around here?
    There are thousands of questions and answers here. :bow: :bow: I'm sure that has been asked or discussed before.
    I haven't found a topic that hasn't already been addressed yet.:bow:
    The only problem might be the time to find it. :doah:
    good luck, dude. :waytogo:

3. filo

filo Registered Member

Sorry, I should have started with.......nice truck!!

4. dbozman

dbozman 1/2 ton status

Of course I've searched. The problem then involves too much information rather than not enough. Or perhaps my search terms weren't tight enough. If someone wouldn't mind providing some guidance I'd appreciate it. Thanks.
    d

5. dhcomp

dhcomp 3/4 ton status Premium Member

Rim width shoudl be based on tire width. If you are sticking to the appearance that you had, im guessing your going wiht a narrowish 35, in which case a 8" wide rim woudl be my solution.

6. sope

sope 1/2 ton status

It depends on tire width and what your using it for. For example if your running 12.5's on the street mostly and limited trail I would go with a 10 " rim for better tire wear and stability. If your wheelin a lot and airing down , I would go with an 8" rim to help keep from breaking the bead and it's easier to re set the bead on the trail.
    You haven't said what width your 35's will be though.

7. TexasBlazerBoy

TexasBlazerBoy 1/2 ton status

:D Sweet truck:D I love that paint scheme:bow:

8. dbozman

dbozman 1/2 ton status

As I said, they're 35 MT/Rs, which means they're 12.5 (sorry for the assumption that you guys would have that info).

I've been four-wheeling and rockcrawling for years. I understand tire to rim ratios. My real question, being a first-time K5 owner, is how different wheeld widths affect the appearance of the truck. I can't quite tell if my old wheels were 8s or 10s. Assuming they were 10s based on the flat tire profile.

Just trying to save myself some experimentation money and buy the right wheels the first time.
    d

PS: Do you really like the color. Man, I was planning a repaint ... :D

9. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

15x10's aren't bead friendly aired down , and frankly they look like lowrider tires that way . 15x8 holds a bead better , looks better , and if you air them up based on actual vehicle weight instead of the max air pressure on the sidewall , they wear fine .

10. TexasBlazerBoy

TexasBlazerBoy 1/2 ton status

Heck no don' t dare repaint(in my opinion) that is classic. You've got the full top removal thing going on also. Like I said sweet ride.:bow: What are your plans, DD, mud, rock everything in between?

11. dbozman

dbozman 1/2 ton status

Well, it appears I got a decent deal on some 15x10s locally, so I'll give that a try. I've run this tire size on both 8- and 10-inch rims and didn't notice much difference.

Plans? Well, I'm done with rockcrawling. This truck will be a "fun rig." I'll drive it when I feel like. Plan on rebuilding the interior, tweaking some stuff here and there and having a fun-to-drive street rig.
    d

12. boz42

boz42 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

sounds to me like u already knew what u wanted, i personnaly think there is a lot of difference. i like my 35 mtr's on 15x7" wheels.