Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

wheel size ??? w/a 14bolt

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by reddog64, Oct 13, 2001.

1. reddog64

reddog64 1/2 ton status

Do I have to have 16.5 inch tires or can i go with a 16 inch or even a 15 inch??? It's gonna be a 14bolt dana 60 setup w/38's or 39.5's...

2. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

This has been covered thousands of times.

The 14FF will accept ANY of those wheel sizes.

The front axles on 3/4 or 1 tons will be the areas you need to worry about getting the 15" wheels to work. Other than 15", the others fit fine.

<font color=red>I'm a "black top mudder"!!!</font color=red>

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/thatK30guy>The K30 Collection</a>

3. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

The 14FF will accept any of those rims sizes and the 15" rim as long as the drum brakes are still on it. If you have rear disc brakes, you will need to grind the calipers and backing plates.

<font color=red>I'm a "black top mudder"!!!</font color=red>

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/thatK30guy>The K30 Collection</a>

4. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

I think that it's important to consider what the final setup will be axle-wise (front/rear)..and whether you will have disc brakes on all four corners. I was curious about the same thing because I knew that certain disc brake setups required grinding of the calipers to fit. I am not a big fan of grinding away calipers to provide clearance, so I was trying to determine what I need to do to avoid that.

There is a post I did a few days ago that covers this....I think it was called "Caliper Grinding..." or something like that. Anyway, the thing that I concluded was that a 15" wheel wouldn't be a good choice.....16" would probably work, but there aren't many tire choices, so 16.5" is what seems to be the right choice.

16.5" is normally not considered a good choice for offroading due to lack of a proper safety bead, but I found a DOT-approved internal beadlock system that would solve that problem! WhiteKnight provided the URL for it.....it think it's called TireLoc.....or something like that. It's actually cheaper than using inside/outside beadlocks, and it's street legal.

SO:

My decision was to go with 14BFF and D60 with the biggest brakes they make, and get the 16.5" wheels to clear the calipers without grinding. Then use the street-legal beadlocks to solve the 16.5" rim problem. I was also thinking about a tire in the 38" to 39" range on my K5.....which is I think what you have mentioned you wanted to do also.

Anyway, I hope this helps.... good luck

-Greg72

5. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

runnin 15's on mine. had to "clearance" calipers on mine to fit. just mostly casting flaws. I also have 4 wheel disc.

your right. I don't understand the jeep thing!

6. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

I run 15's on my 14 bolt FF with disc brakes and I didn't have to clearance the rear calipers at all. Using TSM's kit I have plenty of room and plenty of stopping power.. The front is another story altogether. Get out the grinder!
    -- Mike

<font color=blue> The mud's on it to hide that it's more than one color.[​IMG]

7. chevrules

chevrules 1/2 ton status

I had to grind my D60 and 14FF with the 15" wheels.I then went to 16.5" wheels.I like them but when you airdown they can pop a bead.Maybe consider 16",Super Swamper has a lot of 16" tires in the SSR line now.My solution was to keep the 16.5"....don't air down....and just give it.I have to wheel with a bunch of jeep guys up here,so I use the Bowtie power to show them up.I am sure you all 'understand' this.

chevrules...always has and always will