Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Wheel Spacer Question...

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Jeff427, May 30, 2000.

1. Jeff427

Jeff427 1/2 ton status

I'm planning on running 1.5" spacers on the back of my '78 Blazer to even up the front and rear width. Has anyone had any problems with spacers in the rear? The people at the local garage tell me not to run spacers because they aren't safe. Thanks.
    Jeff427

2. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

The people at the garage you talked to probably are thinking of a different type of wheel spacer. Just a slab of metal that goes in between the wheel and brake drum. Those are kind of crappy. The flex and move and stuff...bad things can happen. The 1.5 inch adapters you want actually bolt to the axle, then your wheel will bolt to those. They are tons better than the first ones I mentioned. I think they are billet too.

'73 K5
    Chevy good...Ford bad

3. Hayduke

Hayduke 1/2 ton status

look under "product reviews" on this site, there's a good write-up and lots of helpful info...
    HAYDUKE

4. Jeff427

Jeff427 1/2 ton status

I saw the review of the spacers on this web site. Actually I am thinking of making my own spacers out of steel (I work in a machine shop) and getting longer studs so the studs go thru the axle, brake drum, spacer, and the wheel. It seems to me like it would be stronger this way. I can get longer studs that are stronger than grade 8 from Moroso, and they are long enough to fit.
    Jeff427

5. K5Junkie

K5Junkie 1/2 ton status

I have been running the same spacers that are in the product review for about 5 months now. I have had no problems with them at all. it make the blazer look alot better now that the tires line up.

6. NJ SAR Guy

NJ SAR Guy Registered Member

As far as everything I've heard, they work great.
    Just two things to consider:
    1) Check local laws. I know they are illegal in New Jersey.
    2) I believe GM gave the Blazer a diffrent axle width in the rear for better traction off-road. If you're into wheeling, depending on the type you do, you may want to keep the diffrent width.

NJ SAR Guy

Please excuse all of my misspelled wurds.

7. dumbfounded

dumbfounded 1/2 ton status

There will be added stress to your bearings/axle but this is easily fixed with rim backspacing. If you could imagine once you place them on the rims are no longer trying to push up they are trying to "bend" a little at the axle b/c they are no longer just pushing up. The center of the rim should be at the axle or different stresses will incur. Unless you carry heavy loads or hit things really hard I wouldn't worry. If the spacers bolt to the drum and the wheel to the spacer the axle would snap long before the spacer would fail....

Wasn't me.............

8. Jeff427

Jeff427 1/2 ton status

I am building my Blazer primarily for wheeling, I'm even leaving it full time. Here are the soon to be specs;
    78 Blazer
    Full time 4x4 (203)
    TH 350 trans (TransGo shift kit, high torque towing torque converter)
    Shakle flip with 2" add a leafs in the back, 4" springs in the front
    3.73 gears front and rear (12 bolt with spacers, Dana 44)
    '71 472ci Cadillac (stock, 500ft-lbs@2800rpm)
    Jeff427

9. Brian 89KBlazer

Brian 89KBlazer 1/2 ton status

Just my opinion, but I wouldn't take the chance on making my own spacers. If it's a slow-speed trail machine, then maybe but if it'll see road time, I'd go with proven safety. Especially since their only 65-85 buck each.
    Small price for safety in my opinion.

Brian

10. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

I run 1.5" spacers (the same as in the product reviews) and have had no problems as of yet. The narrower rear axle on the Blazer and other GM trucks was meant to help handling (turning) as a narrower rear axle helps keep the front end from "pushing" in corners (when you turn the front tires, they will slide and the vehicle will continue to go straight). Before I installed the spacers, the back of my Blazer would slide all over the place in mud and ruts when trailriding. Once the spacers were installed, I really noticed a difference off-road concerning the vehicle tracking straighter.

11. Jeff427

Jeff427 1/2 ton status

I guess what it boils down to is, should I use six studs all the way through the spacer or should I use twelve studs (six hold on the spacer, six hold on the wheel [like the ones in the review on this web site])?