Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Wheel spacers for trailer?

Discussion in 'Tow & Trailer' started by dremu, Mar 2, 2005.

1. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

As part of my project to make my K5 fit onto my tow dolly (well, make the dolly fit the K5 :) ) I may want to space the wheels out a bit, inch or two each side.

A brief web search didn't turn any up, but I swear I've seen say, 1" or 1.5" wheel spacers for the five-lug trailer pattern.

Is this pattern the same as, say, the Jeeps, or am I looking in the wrong places, or is this a bad idea altogether?

-- A

2. ZZ4x4

ZZ4x4 1/2 ton status

I would think that spacers would reduce the overall carrying capacity by a large margin since most of the 5-lug stuff is already pretty light duty. If you had a heavy duty dolly or trailer with 6 or 8 lug hubs it would probably be quite a bit safer to add spacers. Just my .02.

By the way, I am told by U-haul that the width of the U-Haul dollys is kept narrow on purpose to prevent them from being used for full sized trucks. Not sure if that's true.
    Jeff

3. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

Yeah, I'm a bit skeptical of it all ... this one is a custom job, and fairly beefy, particularly in comparison to the U-Haul stuff. But, it IS five lug and I'm leery of messing with those, as you say.

To answer my own question, it looks suspiciously like a Jeep-style 5-on-4.5" pattern, so I could use Jeep spacers if I was so inclined.

-- A