Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Wheel spacers What size???

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Rick, Oct 18, 2002.

1. Rick

Rick Registered Member

I'm thinking about getting spacers to make my back tires even with the front ones. What size do I need to make them even and where is a good place to order them from.

2. Blazinaire

Blazinaire 1/2 ton status

if you are using stock 1/2 ton axles then you will need a 1 1/2'' spacer for each side. You can get them through a lot of places, but some are lower quality, check out the product reviews on them on this site.

3. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Would I need spacers with a 14 bolt FF rear end ??? I'd like my tires to be even also.

4. BlazinNewTrails

BlazinNewTrails Registered Member

I went out with a tape and measured my axle widths.
    My 12 bolts are 4" narrower in the rear!!!
    I just ordered a set of 2" spacers for my '83 Blazer.
    Can't wait to get them installed!.
    I also just bought ProComp 2" add-a-leafs for the rear and a steering arm for a 4" lift.
    I'm wanting to raise the front 2" also but without making it stiffer. (2 1/2" lift spring packs are plenty stiff enough) I'm thinking I may go with the Hill shackles (1" lift" and ORD's 1" ) rate leafs.
    The guy at 4WDParts said my Shocks for the 2 1/2" lift should still be fine.
    Also, I noticed that one of my steering box to frame bolts is missing! I think I'll replace that and add that ORD steering box brace I saw as a precaution)

Anybody think that the longer shackle/0 rate is a bad way to get 2 more inches up front?
    Would it make more sense to just go with 4" springs up front? Money IS a huge object right now so please keep that in mind!
    Thanks,
    Greg

5. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

If you want to square up w/ a 14, get a van rear end. The hubs are wider than the P/U versions.

In fact I have done some checking and it "seems like" (outside of spring pads and shock mounts) all 14 housings and axle shafts are the same. The difference is solely in the hubs and backing plates. Dually's included. The WMS is deeper or shallower depending on the application.

My dads dually has a 14 in it and the center hub sticks WAY out there. The 14 I just put into PI today has about 2-3 inches sticking out. I was recently told about a van 14 a friend he has and said the WMS is almost flush w/ the axle flange.

6. georgiared84

georgiared84 1/2 ton status

I second that on the van rear. I've got a 14 bolt ff from a late 70's 1 ton van sitting on my garage floor. It is wider than the c30 rears. I think it will put my rear tires even with my fronts without spacers. If I measured right. I don't know how it will perform yet. So far it's just sat there. It's doing a good job of breaking my toe every time I go to get anything from my toolbox.

7. Lazydog

Lazydog 1/2 ton status

I've always wondered why they built the trucks with narrower rear axles. I know my Jimmy turns as tight or tighter than my little Nissan Sentra. What will adding rear spacers do for handling? Thanks

8. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

Handling would be better, cornering would be the same. But the biggest difference would be off road, where the inside tire while turning would be closer to the line the front tire is taking so driving through rough areas could be easier: all you have to think about is three tires placement, 2 fronts and outside rear.