Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

wheel spacers

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Jonny-K5, Mar 18, 2004.

1. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

i've got 3" long wheel studs in my rear axles and i was thinking of putting some wheel spacers in there to bump the rear tires out a little more to match up with the front. plus i wouldnt have so much stud sticking out past the nut.

i know they make ones that bolt on, but what about one that slides onto the studs and sandwiches inbetween. are these a good idea? it seems like they would be safer then the bolt on.

i've seen them in summit before, but only 7/16 thick and only a 5 lug pattern. anyone know where i can get a 6 lug 1" thick version?

2. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

Not sure how safe that would be. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif IMO it'd be too much stress on the studs with the spacer and wheel being two separate pieces. I'd do a BUNCH more research before you did that.

3. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    IMO it'd be too much stress on the studs with the spacer and wheel being two separate pieces

[/ QUOTE ]

wouldnt it just be like having an extra thick wheel? anyone else done this? on second thought,maybe it would be too much stress , any more opinions?

4. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I think wheel spacers are a bad idea, no matter what style they are, but that is my personal opinion, and many here run them sucessfully.

The main problem with a 1" thick spacer that just slides on is the shear loads. I would think that unless you used some super strong wheel studs, you could easily shear off all of the studs and lose a tire that way.

The bolt on ones use the cone shaped inner lug nut to center the spacer on the stud, and help distribute the shear loads better IMO.

I'm no engineer, although I aspire to be one some day, but it just doesn't seem like a good idea IMO.

5. K5er4Life

K5er4Life 1/2 ton status

I dont know if I would run them permantely, I am running the 8 to 6 lug adapters that are 1.5 inch thick only because Im waiting to install my dana 60 and go all 8 lug. I dont plan on having them on there very long and I plan on constantly having to check the torque on the spacers. It's critical to keep a close check of the torque of the spacers for the first few miles because they are aluminum. And if you go to www.truckinsuspension.com they got just about every wheel spacer/adapter you can imagine. And I believe they will do custom applications.

6. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

i figured as much. thanks for the input fellas

7. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator