Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

wheel spacers

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by ChevBlazin, Apr 24, 2002.

1. ChevBlazin

ChevBlazin 1/2 ton status

Any one using rear wheel spacers, I think most add like 1.5 inches on each side. Do they alloy your rear tires to still tuck up into the fender well when flexing? I have 4" lift and 35" tires, I think the tires are pretty close now.

2. Mreetz

Mreetz 1/2 ton status

I know a guy here in colorado runnin the 1.5 spacers, brings em in line with the front. I don't remember him sayin he had any problems tho. I'm lookin to put some on mine, I'm goin to 14.5 tires, I'll let you know what I find out.

Marty----

3. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

I run 4" suspension lift, 1" body lift, and trimmed fenders with bushwacker cutout flares. I have the 1.5" rear wheel spacers w/35x12.50s on 15x10 Centerline Hellcats (don't know the backspacing). It widens the track to match the front. I have not had them rub the fender at full stuff.

4. Blazin Ed

Blazin Ed Registered Member

I was thinking about installing some of these on my '88... Just wondering how safe it is when you bring the wheel farther away from the stud mounting points? I know the spacers bolt to all the stock studs then provide new studs but I was concerned with the added leverage it will have? Has anyone had problems with these?

5. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

I heard that when using the spacers it puts more pressure on the bearings (makes them wear out faster) Is this true?

6. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

I have done some pretty hardcore wheeling (flying through the air and such) without any problems to date. These spacers are very secure and I am no longer concerned with them. I kept an eye on them for quite some time for the same reasons you have mentioned. But I feel comfortable with them now.

7. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

it does make sense that it puts more pressure on the outer axleshaft bearing and the seal. By moving the wheel further out, you are adding leverage to the equation. As I have never had a problem with these bearings to start with (170K miles and still going), I am not too worried about them wearing out "faster". But it is something you may need to take into consideration.

8. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

I run the 1.5" Performance Wheel product, as does Steve Fox. Haven't ramped the truck since installing the spacers, so can't say for sure if they'll clear, looks like they will. Yes, they add a bit of leverage to the bearings, but come on, a 14 bolt full floater is meant for carrying loads on a ONE TON truck............my Blazer with aluminum wheels shouldn't hardly tax it. Maybe on a 10 bolt I'd be worried............but I don't have that worry, thankfully.

9. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

Yeah, I run them...it's all good. Just make sure you re-torque the lugnuts on them after about 150 to 200miles (they will come loose). Then just keep an eye on em (like during every tire rotation and re-torque em if necessary).
    Boss

10. K05Aggie

K05Aggie 1/2 ton status

Wheel spacers wouldn't stress bearings any more than wheels with 1.5" less backspacing than normal.

11. Mreetz

Mreetz 1/2 ton status

Just going to the wider tires puts more stress on your bearings and chances to burn them out. You just got service em more often.