Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

wheel spacers

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by fright89, Nov 26, 2002.

1. fright89

fright89 1/2 ton status

how are people making out with the 1 1/2 inch spacers for the rear wheels? I am thinking about ordering a set but am a little nervous about putting them on my stock axle. I am on 33 x 12's and would realy like to get some. Just mild wheeling up and down the power lines. nothing realy crazy like most of you guys. am i just going to create problems for my axle?

thanks

2. Michael

Michael 1/2 ton status

Once again...do a search, there is a thread going about how horrible they are....

3. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Do a Search. Been some stuff either way. Had a few folks lose a wheel, Myself included. As for the load on the axle. not that bad. I liked them and I think I'll be putting them back on but this go around they will be double nut so there is no possiblility of them coming loose again. I instantly noticed and improvement on the trail. The track width had many times caused me to fall in to deep "V" ruts because the rear would drop and drag the rest of the truck down. I have many trails with those sort of conditions and the narrow track of the rear had alwasy been a problem.
    Basicly use at own risk and do make sure to frequently check the that the lugs stayed tight from the adaptor to the axle. DOuble nutting them would not be a bad idea. You just need to pick up 12 of the standard steel nuts and 12 7/16 course thread nuts.

4. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

I've had the 1/5" ones on the K5 (14BFF) for a year, with no problems. First two weeks they were on I had to re-torque the spacer to axle and wheel to spacer a couple of times............since then there has been no change.

Seems on a non-FF rearend there might be an issue with bearing leverage. Can't say for sure tho............ /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

5. sapper

sapper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

i like mine. i think that you can lose a wheel with or without them. im not a master mechanic but you have lug nuts or a tire without the spacer and lugnuts with the spacer, if they are going to fail then they are going to fail. The only way i would not use mine is if everybody suddenly had them splitting into a bunch of pieces, but thats not likley to happen because the 6061 aluminum is the same material Stephen uses now for the doubler so its strong /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. edman87

edman87 Registered Member

Wouldn't lock-tite on the threads help?

7. MilpitasK5

MilpitasK5 1/2 ton status

I'm running 33x12's also and mine haven't had a problem. I think I've been using them for over a year now. Re-torqued them once since. Now that I read this post, I'll probably go in and re-torque them again.

Handling was definitely improved. I'm not a hard core wheeler like Grim and the rest but I've been through some ruts and dunes and stuff with no problems as of yet.