Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Wheel spacers

Discussion in 'OffRoad Design' started by TK5, Apr 13, 2003.

1. TK5

TK5 1/2 ton status

I wanting to add a spacer on the rear of my 14 bolt, but I don't want to with the lug to lug route.

What I would like to have is a spacer that goes between the hub and rim with longer studs. Is this possible?

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

You mean replace your stock lugs with longer ones and just use a simple spacer? Or you mean the kind that most use where you just bolt the spacer to the stock lugs and the the spacer has its own lugs on it. I would be scared to run lugs that long myself, can you say twisty? Be like blocks, puting a lot of torque on those things. My friend broke 4 studs off on his 383 Chevelle. Especially if your a crawler or something with lots of quick torque bursts.

3. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Sled Dog's got it right.....I wouldn't want wheel studs that long....you're asking for a catastrophy!!

The kit that everyone around here uses (AFAIK Watson, Fox, etc) uses standard studs to attach the spacer and another set to hold the wheel. I've used this setup and it works fine. I'm sure your concern is having to pull the wheels to recheck torque, but I can tell you mine have ALWAYS stayed tight. I didn't even retorque after 100 miles like you're supposed to.....!!

4. burban33

burban33 Registered Member

I think he is talking about spacing the whole hub outward instead of using a wheel spacer, like moving the entire rotor and lug section for more width

5. TK5

TK5 1/2 ton status

I have put disc brakes on my 14 bolt. Of course it has 8 lugs, 9/16" studs grade 8. This has more strength that a chevy 5 or 6 lug which only use 7/16"s studs.

I am wanting just to install a 1" plate on the hub with longer studs then the wheel. Seems to me I would rather have 8 lugs and nuts to worry about as opposed to having 16 studs and nuts to worry. I may be wrong!!! That's the reason to ask.

Maybe I should mention this is on '83 Chevy K5 with a 6.2 with 4.10 gears. I don't do much rock crawling, some trails, most daily driving and Search & Rescue for emergency services.

6. DPI

DPI 1/2 ton status

That is a very interesting idea and sounds like it would work to me. Where can you find the studs that are 1" longer than stock and where can you find a spacer?

7. TK5

TK5 1/2 ton status

I found the studs at the local auto parts store. The spacer can be the same spacer that every one is using with the exception of the extra studs just 8 holes for the studs on the wheel.

8. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    and where can you find a spacer?

[/ QUOTE ]
    There is a review here on ck5 and it has a link to the place they bought thier spacers.

There is a member here who makes them out of 6061-T6 and that is where I got mine. You can find him at Echobit.com]
    --

9. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

my spacers are the "16 stud" variety and I have very few problems. I do check them periodically (about once a year) and I have one stud in the alum. that's a bit loose now but it still tightens up just fine so it's not really a problem. They've been on there for several years so far, I think back to '98 maybe?