Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

wheel spacing?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bryguy00b, Aug 2, 2002.

1. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

if you want your tires/wheels to stick out what do you do get really wide wheels? is spacing on the wheels something thats already on the wheel, or do you put the spacers on and move them out more?

thanx-Bryan

2. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> Wheels are built with differing amount of backspacing. The less backspace, the more they stick out. Be aware that making your wheels stick out for no reason other than wanting them to "look cool" is kind of a poser move... Generally you want them as close in as possible without any interference. Also, the farther out they stick the worse the problems get with rubbing the fenders.

3. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

ahh ic..what would be a good back spacing then that i should look for when buying new wheels?

Bryan

4. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> What size tires? Current lift? Future plans? </font color>

5. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

well its all stock now and i think the tires are 29's not sure of the top of my head but i want to do a 2 in body lift with a 4 in suspension. and 35" tires..

Bryan

6. chulisohombre

chulisohombre 1/2 ton status

the farther your wheel stick out the more stress you put on your axles.also it is illigal in some states or maybe all states to have the wheels out past the wheel wells.mine have 4 inch backspace with 35x12.5r15 tires and line up exactly with the wheel wells.so any farther and when the axle is flexed it would not go under the wheel well.

7. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> 4" backspace would be about perfect on 10" rims. For 8" go for about 3.5". </font color>

8. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

ok cuase i have the 15x8 wheels i think.i think thats stock anyway...and ill be buying the same size..in another wheel

bryan

9. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

Just mount the new tires on the 15"x8"s you have already. /forums/images/icons/ooo.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

10. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

yea but i have two differnt sets of wheels on it to begin with and they are crusty pos's..id like to find some nice shape stock rallys if i could..

Bryan

11. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

it can still go in the wheel well, Mine do i got 15.50 wide tires that stick out like 2 inch in the front, Think abuot it, when one tire goes up, it doesnt go Straight up, it goes at an angle.............

12. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

Just curious but why do you want your tires to stick out?

13. BLUESMAN

BLUESMAN 1/2 ton status

Phoenix(but it\'s a dry heat...like an oven!)AZ.
    Less body damage?LOL!!!But if the tires stick out and your flex is good and your fenders are a little too close you get crunched fenders.4" of back spacing is as far as I would go...that's still alot of tire outside the front fenders.The rear will tuck nicely into the wheelwells!

14. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

well i thought it would look kinda cool..but from what im hearing i would rather have some cool looking fenders, rather than some cool spaced out tires with shitty fenders! /forums/images/icons/grin.gif haha

Bryan