Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

wheel stud, or lack thereof question

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by coolhandluke, Mar 9, 2002.

1. coolhandluke

coolhandluke 1/2 ton status

Ok, long story short, my blazer is sitting in the parking lot of my wife's school, the front passengers side tire is all fouled up. It has lost all the lug nuts, sheered off 2 of the studs. Of the remaining studs, one is still through the hole in the wheel. The big problem is, the wheel has rotated so that the other 3 studs don't line up with the holes. It has becomed JAMMED on in that position (top is on the stud, and is leaning WAY in, the bottom 3 are not in the holes, so the bottom of the tire is way out.

My questions....
    1. are the studs just pressed in?

2. Can I just bash the snot out of the one still poking through, backing it out, and getting the tire off?

3. WHat do I have to do to get new studs put in?

4. should I just have it towed, or is this something I can do?

THanks guys.....

2. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

Yes you can just pound them out, then go to the auto parts store get new studs, put them in, put the lug nut on, tighten it till the stud is all the way on, repeat for the rest of the studs, then putyour tire on and go

3. Highlander

Highlander 1/2 ton status

Well the one thing that Silver left out is you will have to take off the hub to get to the studs, So you will have to take off the locking or manual hub and the outer wheel bearings.
    I had a tire shop break off a stud and then didn't feel the need to tell me as it happend I was putting on a new steering arm and had to take of the wheel If I hadn't done that hell it would still be that way or maybe like your is right now.
    As for you doing this yourself I don't know why you can't, you will need a Toruqe wrench and a hub socket. while you at it grease the wheel bearing, I said the outer bearing and I think I should of said inner bearing. When I did mine I didn't have to replace any seals. One last thing you'll need is some snap rings pliers. Hope this helps.

Eric

4. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

Ooops, was thinking about the back for some reason,