Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Wheel, Tire and Lift Question

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by mcne2026, Dec 6, 2006.

1. mcne2026

mcne2026 Registered Member

I just got my '72 K5 a couple days ago. It was completely restored with the exception of the wheels and tires. We was looking for original and never found them.

I plan on lifting it with a 4" shackle flip in the rear and 4" springs in the front. I have a '75 K5 trail rig already, so this will be mostly paved roads, light trails and mud runs. It will see some occasinal rocks and fairly off-camber situations. I felt the lift componenents were a good fit and it will give it the look I want for the road. It will be a daily driver.

I was planning on going with a 15x8 wheel with a 3.75" back spacing. The lift will not be done for a couple months, but I need the tires now. Could I fit tires with a 33" diameter and 12.6" width before the lift is installed? I only want to run 33" or 34" with the 4" lift. I think 35" will be to big. I do NOT want to trim the fenders. Would it make any difference if I went with a 16x8 wheel that had a 4" backspacing?

2. bp71k5

bp71k5 3/4 ton status Premium Member

I think you can get by with 33's and no lift for a while. That's what I have and they are only 2" bigger than the stock 31's.

3. Yukon Jack

Yukon Jack 1/2 ton status

I have read of people using 33"s with no lift but I think you will find clearance issues if you were to take it offroad with those tires and no lift. Driving on the road will probably okay. 35"s and 4" of lift is fine for on the highway but again, if you go offroad and get crossed up, you will find 4" of lift isn't enough. I drove my 69 K20 with 35"s and 4" of lift on the road without any problems.

Would enjoy seeing pics of your new K5.

I won't jump into the backspacing issue as I can't recall what backspacing I have on my 69.

4. makovai

makovai 1/2 ton status

pics please, i cant give an opinion without a pic. I'm a visual kinda guy :D

5. 1967k10

1967k10 1/2 ton status

I have 8" on my 67' with 37"s and they still rub a little under extreme flex and full lock. I'm going to add 2" more inches and maybe trim some more.

6. gaspass

gaspass 1/2 ton status

I have some 15x8 stock ralley wheels I would sell you but shipping to So. Cal would probably not be worth it. I also have some stock 15 in. steel wheels and original dinner plate wheel covers from a 72 4x4, but they would be for someone who is going for an original look. I believe YJack is right, the 33's should work for a month or two until you get the lift if you stay on the road.
    I have a 5 inch tuff country lift on my 72 Blazer with 33 inch Trxus M/T's and they look and perform just fine and don't even come close to rubbing. In fact, with a 5 in lift I could probably run 35's, but i don't want to mess with changing the stock 3.73 gear ratio. 33's work great with 3.73 ratio, but if you have the 3.08 highway gearing the 33's may be a little too big.