Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Wheel/Tire size opinions

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by K5_73, Mar 27, 2001.

1. K5_73

K5_73 Registered Member

I have a 3/4 ton truck that I have a set of the old "Jackman" style spoked wheels, which I will be swapping out the diffs in sometime soon. I love the look of the Jackmans, and not a lot of people have them, but the thing that sucks is that the front ones are only like 15x8's and the rears are 15x10's. This creates a slight problem, since I am planning on running 33x12.50's, but 12.50's on 8" wide wheels up front will tend to balloon, and narrow the contact patch, whereas the rear 10" wides will be just right. I was thinking that I could run 33x10.50's up front and 12.50's in the rear, and that would solve the ballooning problem, but then I couldn't rotate the tires, which would also suck. The other thing that could cause problems is if the actual tire height or diameter is different between the two tire widths. I know that if the size is only slightly different, it wouldn't be a huge deal if I only engaged 4 wheel on loose/slick terrain, but I would like to be able to engage on any terrain without worrying about it. Does anyone know if the TSL Radials are different in height between the 33x10.50 and the 33x12.50? There might be another benefit to having the narrow widths up front, which is that the front axles tend to stick out further than the rears, and 10.50's up front would tend to even that up. If anyone wants to throw their opinions my way, I would appreciate it. This concludes chapter 15, thanks for reading.

Stupid hurts

2. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

I don't think you would have any problem at all running 12.50 tires on 8" rims. Several of the guys in our club prefer using the narrower rims as they tend to hold the bead of the tire a little better and the rims are better protected from rocks and roots. These guys have been running this setup for many years with no problems. Also, I used to run 11.50 tires on 7" rims and put over 20,000 miles on the tires with no signs of abnormal tire wear and did not notice any handling difference when going to 10" rims.

3. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

i am running 33x12.5x16in tires on 16x8 rims and they are working great

77blazer see it at<A target="_blank" HREF=http://community.webshots.com/user/ssmith6333>http://community.webshots.com/user/ssmith6333</A>[​IMG]

4. Scoobydoo

Scoobydoo 1/2 ton status

Phoenix / Peoria ARIZONA. (75thAve/DeerValley)
    If I were you, I would buy two more wheels.
    Either 8"s or 10"s it's up to you, but I would probably go for 10"s myself.
    This way you will still be able to properly rotate your tires![​IMG]

Scooby Dooby Doo !!!

5. Scoobydoo

Scoobydoo 1/2 ton status

Phoenix / Peoria ARIZONA. (75thAve/DeerValley)
    I ment to add, and run all 4= 33X12.5"s

Scooby Dooby Doo !!!

6. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

Scoobydoo: They quit making Jackmans a loooong time ago. You can't just buy them anywhere. I think thats what his problem is. And they are mega-strong so they are worth keeping.

'73 K5
    Chevy good...Ford bad